• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1964) The Slow Build
5 5

1,184 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2023 at 8:40 AM, Prince Namor said:

ON NEWSSTANDS MAY 1964

Tales of Suspense #56 - Written with Consummate Skill by: Stan Lee  Illustrated with Blazing Drama by Don Heck

Lettered with Bloodshot Eyes by S. Rosen

Cover by Jack Kirby (inks by Dick Ayers) - Instead of having Sol Brodsky, a staffer, do the inks for free on this issue, Lee gives the work to Ayers, most likely because he didn't get to draw the Human Torch story for the month.

Another villain, with zero purpose, other than to show up and try and beat Iron Man. 

Part ONE:

RCO001_1468840180.jpg

RCO002_1468840180.jpg

RCO003_1468840180.jpg

RCO004_1468840180.jpg

RCO005_1468840180.jpg

RCO006_1468840180.jpg

RCO007_1468840180.jpg

RCO008_1468840180.jpg

RCO009_1468840180.jpg

RCO010_1468840180.jpg

RCO011_1468840180.jpg

RCO012_1468840180.jpg

I don't think Ayers inked that cover, it doesn't have his trademark blunt-stick-dipped-in-tar look about it. More likely it's Don Heck or even Vinnie Coletta.

On 11/7/2023 at 9:03 PM, Steven Valdez said:

I don't think Ayers inked that cover, it doesn't have his trademark blunt-stick-dipped-in-tar look about it. More likely it's Don Heck or even Vinnie Coletta.

GCD thinks it's Ayers (for what it's worth--they have been known to be wrong), but I see what you mean--it seems a bit thin for him. I'm pretty sure it's not Colletta, though: he would have erased most of the backgrounds!

Edited by Dr. Haydn
minor rewording

On 11/8/2023 at 2:27 PM, Dr. Haydn said:

Checked online. They're kinda pricey!

They sure are! I only have the first FF edition so far, grabbed it when it was briefly at half-price on Amazon. They are gigantic and the print quality is so much better than the omnibii.

On 11/8/2023 at 3:05 PM, Dr. Haydn said:

GCD thinks it's Ayers (for what it's worth--they have been known to be wrong), but I see what you mean--it seems a bit thin for him. I'm pretty sure it's not Colletta, though: he would have erased most of the backgrounds!

The Marvel Database just says 'Jack Kirby' for the cover. So maybe Jack inked himself...? Geo. Bell? Either way it was inked in pen, whereas Ayers only ever used twigs, er... brushes.

On 11/6/2023 at 10:30 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Anyone collecting the outstanding Marvel Comics Library books by Taschen?

xl_marvel_group_silver_surfer_spiderman2_slider_desktop_pmxjx7.thumb.webp.53cf7ce2b9ddd9accf61b201607d3ca4.webp

I do and highly recommend them...I would rank them FF 1, Spiderman 1, Spiderman 2, Silver Surfer 1 ( (yet to get), X men 1, and Avengers 1.....the size of them helps me remember that when I went back many later to my first school...everything seemed smaller... a lot smaller....and so was I back then....but being of small size the comic books seemed larger than life...When read both the FF and SM it kind of transported me back to that time...I remembered that I would like a comic book panel for a long time. Well this size has taken me back and I have noticed things I have never seen before...so A plus, and the SM2 is what I am currently right now and cannot wait for Cap 1-13 GA......wow just wow

ON NEWSSTANDS MAY 1964

Journey Into Mystery #106 - Written Fairly Well by Stan Lee  Drawn Not Too Badly by Jack Kirby   Inked Kinda Nice by Chic Stone  Lettered Pretty Fair by Art Simek

Cover by Jack Kirby (inked by Chic Stone)

Part ONE:

RCO001.jpg

RCO002.jpg

RCO003.jpg

RCO004.jpg

RCO005.jpg

RCO006.jpg

RCO007.jpg

RCO008.jpg

RCO009.jpg

RCO010.jpg

Edited by Prince Namor

On 11/13/2023 at 3:54 PM, Prince Namor said:

ON NEWSSTANDS MAY 1964

Journey Into Mystery #106 - Written with Passion by Stan Lee  Drawn with Pageantry by Jack Kirby   Inked with Power by Vince Colletta Lettered with Pride by Art Simek

RCO020.jpg

RCO021.jpg

RCO022.jpg

RCO023.jpg

RCO024.jpg

I actually really like Colletta's inks on Kirby's Thor (and FF), notwithstanding his erasing antics.

On 11/12/2023 at 11:36 PM, Steven Valdez said:

I actually really like Colletta's inks on Kirby's Thor (and FF), notwithstanding his erasing antics.

Though I must suggest that this was not one of Colletta's better efforts. I'm not sure what Jack intended Balder's clothes to look like, but it appears that Colletta dragged this panel through the mud.

Muddy Balder.jpg

On 11/14/2023 at 2:16 AM, Dr. Haydn said:

Though I must suggest that this was not one of Colletta's better efforts. I'm not sure what Jack intended Balder's clothes to look like, but it appears that Colletta dragged this panel through the mud.

Muddy Balder.jpg

I don't mind it, just a bit of stippling and shadow. Colletta's inks give Kirby's art a level of sophistication, compared to the cartoonishness of Chic Stone's in the same issue. It's night and day.

On 11/13/2023 at 6:20 PM, Steven Valdez said:

I don't mind it, just a bit of stippling and shadow. Colletta's inks give Kirby's art a level of sophistication, compared to the cartoonishness of Chic Stone's in the same issue. It's night and day.

I'm not fully convinced by Colletta's thin lines, but I must admit, the better paper of the omnibus versions shows his detailed inking in a far better light. The cheap newsprint of the original printing tended to swallow up most of his subtlety. This is a particularly fine image, though it requires the colorist (still Stan Goldberg, I think?) to contribute to the three-dimensional illusion.

colletta thin line.jpg

On 11/13/2023 at 4:54 PM, Prince Namor said:

You can see Kirby in the Tales of Asgard stories using the dialect more associated with the Thor stories, while Lee continues to use basic dialogue in the regular stories...

I suspect Stan was still doing the final version of the dialogue in these stories. Notice in the panel I posted above from page 2 that there was a lettering correction to "inscrutable." Whatever Jack wrote in the margins, Stan probably had altered it to "inscrutible," which an attentive proofreader (Flo Steinberg?) fixed. In his own dialogue, Jack's spelling is almost always beyond reproach, while Stan's mistakes in this regard are numerous and famous (Pharoah, anyone?)