• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THIS ******* **** HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!!!!

68 posts in this topic

Umm, wrong. The movie industry is getting hit hard this year

Wow, i guess all the BS the movie studios are shoveling must be working. screwy.gif

Right now, 2005 stands to be the SECOND BEST year EVER at the box office, and there is no one starving, trust me. The only real difference is that 2004 was a record-breaking, Titanic-like year, and it's tough to put up those kinds of numbers consistently.

Wrong again - 2004 was actually a down year for attendance, and 2005 figures shows that movie attendence provides only 15% of a movies overall revenue. 893whatthe.gif

I do however agree with you that there is nothing for the studios to really worry about, as revenues from DVD sales and legal downloads are doing great and help make up the other 85%. Its the theatre owners that are screwed, as I stated above.

And an excellent article on The Slate.com:

Hollywood's Death Spiral

Would you rather pay $3.50 for the comic??? If it keeps prices down, who cares?

don't believe it for a second!! You're just regurgitating what they're trying to snow you with....

how come DC can put out cheaper books with less adds and higher quality talent?

Wrong again

So I am WRONG when I said that 2004 was a record year for BOX OFFICE?

Go look up the numbers and then you can post an apology.. acclaim.gif

Here, I'll do it for you:

Record US box office high in 2004

Ticket sales at the US box office reached a record high in 2004. Movies took $9.4 billion at the domestic box office last year, compared to $9.2 billion in 2003.

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Would you rather pay $3.50 for the comic??? If it keeps prices down, who cares?

don't believe it for a second!! You're just regurgitating what they're trying to snow you with....

how come DC can put out cheaper books with less adds and higher quality talent?

Because DC has obviously been more popular among the serious comic readers lately? confused-smiley-013.gif

Course, the numbers probably don't really prove the point 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

no. JC, Hollywood counts tickets sold, same way they compute GWTW grosses in 2005 dolars to get a fair comparison from film to film. If tickets prices keep rising and ticket sales keep falling, Hollywood can set a new BO record each year even as the audiences slip away. I know you understand this cause its the same exact argument you always use to explain how comics are dying! Selling fewer comics at ever higher prices each!

Hollywood recognises the hollow victory of setting new records via higher ticket prices. Sure its good to break the record, but they arent fooled by the statistics. And as you know, THIS year the wheels fell off the truck completely.

If tickets prices keep rising and ticket sales keep falling, Hollywood can set a new BO record each year even as the audiences slip away.

Of course, but what are you trying to debate?

I simply stated that Hollywood had set a new Box Office record in 2004, and that 2005 is slated to be the second best Box Office total, and was greeted with a "WRONG!" reply. Obviously I am right, as the term Box Office = $$$ and the numbers match up.

End of story.

P.S. Don't believe everything the Hollywood hype machine feeds you.

Didn't we see this in a previous thread? If I remember correctly Joe Q. had said it was just the one month that comics would have this high amount of ads. It was just last month. When most Marvel titles had an ad on ever other page. Just a ridiculous amount of ads. So this is his way of fixing it? Adding more?

Didn't we see this in a previous thread? If I remember correctly Joe Q. had said it was just the one month that comics would have this high amount of ads. It was just last month. When most Marvel titles had an ad on ever other page. Just a ridiculous amount of ads. So this is his way of fixing it? Adding more?

893naughty-thumb.gif............ sign-offtopic.gif........Hey we can't have you talking about comic Ad's here, this is about Movie

$$$$..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......... flowerred.gifWELL IT IS NOW..............AGAIN.

wow more ad's, more damage from the distributer and prices are still out of whack for a new book. They would sell a heck of a lot more books if they were cheaper and probably still make the same profit. If all books were say $1.50, i would probablly buy double the books, thats double the ad's i see and i wouldn't be so mad having to take a dinged "new" comic.

Considering comics were $1.50 or more in 1993, I can't imagine them being that cheap 12 or 13 years later.

They were overpriced then. confused-smiley-013.gif

Considering comics were $1.50 or more in 1993, I can't imagine them being that cheap 12 or 13 years later.

They were overpriced then. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yep, starting in the late-80's the adult fanboy pushed the kids out of the market, and both DC and Marvel started raising cover prices far beyond the general consumer's willingness to pay. Comics were a "hot investment", adults were buying them by the caseload, so why shouldn't the comic book companies bend them over with bi-monthly price increases?

Then came the big comic book crash, and sales numbers fell so low that only the truly addicted were left, and those guys are virtually immune to price jacks.