• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Bets on How Long the Strike Will Last?
2 2

46 posts in this topic

Good luck to the industry, if it skimps on recognition and compensation for the talent.  That also holds true should there be the misguided belief that generative artificial intelligence is poised to supplant the best and brightest of it.

On 9/4/2023 at 9:47 AM, Number 6 said:

At the risk of sounding like the angry old man yelling at a cloud…

If that’s where things end up then I’ll abandon modern movies and TV altogether.  

Over the last couple of years I’ve been focused on building up my collection of movies and TV shows on physical media.  Even stuff I haven’t seen and seems mildly interesting, if I can pick up for a good price I snag it. 

I’ve got a pretty good pile of stuff to watch that’ll keep me entertained for a long time without having to resort to entertainment generated by an AI. 

I would also argue that AI is better than a lot of the current writers, unfortunately.  I was listening to a podcast that said AI is already equal in quality to a first past -script for an inexperienced, average writer. Here is a Seinfeld episode that a Youtuber did a few months ago (skip to about 8:50).  It certainly is not a top episode by any stretch, but the bones are there, and this is just a Youtuber playing around. Currently, it works best with shows with a lot of existing material to draw on, so they are a few seasons in, or procedural type shows like detective, medical, or law shows where they can "write" the technical portions very efficiently. 

On 9/3/2023 at 5:11 PM, Eclipse said:

Hopefully something happens soon, as an IATSE member i've been out of work since mid-June. Kinda liked the summer vacation but this needs to end

Same here. It's very bad. I'm watching people lose their homes, health insurance for themselves and their children. I'm ok, but for a lot IATSE folks I know, it's utterly devastating.

Edited by NoMan

On 9/4/2023 at 6:22 PM, Bill C said:

Well, seeing how hollywood is a cesspool, I would like the strike to be over...  as soon as it destroys hollywood. I think that would be long enough.

I'm enjoying this just fine.

Hey- maybe they can just sing "Imagine"?

And I know there will be a response "...but what about the little guy just doing his job and supporting his family?" I cant answer that sufficiently here due to the nature/restrictions of this forum, so I guess the best I can do here is:

I feel sorry for the people cought in the crossfire. The stage workers, carpenters, electricians, directors, caterers, etc.  The ones not striking, the ones who need work and aren't making millions per year, that have no control.  I even feel sorry for the lower tier actors and writers, who were struggling before this.  I do not have much sympathetic for people on either side that have been making millions, will continue to do so, and these strikes will not really impact. But those are the people that need to stop the stairing contest and figure this out.

On 9/4/2023 at 9:51 AM, TupennyConan said:

All authorship of any kind is suspect from November 2022 forward. 

It depends on the author. I use different dates for different authors. :devil:

On 9/4/2023 at 10:04 AM, namisgr said:

Good luck to the industry, if it skimps on recognition and compensation for the talent.  That also holds true should there be the misguided belief that generative artificial intelligence is poised to supplant the best and brightest of it.

I'm not sure why you've moved the goal posts and taken this position. Nobody said it would supplant the best and the brightest. They always find a way to succeed. 

It's THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE that should be worried who are NOT the best and brightest. As you can read in this thread, people are losing their livlihoods to AI and it came in the LITERAL blink of an eye. 

On 9/4/2023 at 11:02 AM, drotto said:

I would also argue that AI is better than a lot of the current writers, unfortunately. 

I did this in the Comic Book AI discussion General as well so I think it bears repeating here:

It's not only important to note what's happenign in the center lane, but what is happening in the lanes around the center lane. 

I think almost everyone can agree that most Hollywood writing has been TERRIBLE FOR YEARS much like the automotive industry has been putting out garbage cars and the housing industry has been putting out garbage homes. 

For every one good movie you get 100 or a 1000 shizzle movies these days. 

Why?

I believe it's because of the corporate nature of business which is a relatively new phenomenon. Profit is more important than product, integrity or telling a story, and so it's become relatively easy to replace mediocre workers with tech. 

You know who they'll never replace with tech? The front runners.

There is a lesson in this, a white elephant in the room that nobody is talking about: Eat or get eaten...be good at what you do or become obsolete. And THAT is something that society forgot how to do a long time ago. Maybe the pendulum is swinging the other way. 

Edited by VintageComics