• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting restoration classification system by Tracey Heft

36 posts in this topic

You're married too, and you've read further into the thing than I have at this point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gifhi.gif

Mark's been married for a while and has kids. Different rules apply. Although if you and Liz were living together prior to getting married, then you may be eligible for the fast-track program, but you still won't get full membership until you have kids.

assmuncher. mad.gif

You're married too, and you've read further into the thing than I have at this point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gifhi.gif

Mark's been married for a while and has kids. Different rules apply. Although if you and Liz were living together prior to getting married, then you may be eligible for the fast-track program, but you still won't get full membership until you have kids.

assmuncher. mad.gif

popcorn.gif

assmuncher. mad.gif

Just performing my job as spokesman for the Old Married Board Guys. No need to kill the messenger. 893naughty-thumb.gif

assmuncher. mad.gif

Just performing my job as spokesman for the Old Married Board Guys. No need to kill the messenger. 893naughty-thumb.gif

As stated often in various parts of the South, "He needed killin'."

assmuncher. mad.gif

Then go kill Mark.

well, no, but they do have gigantic ca$h prizes! and they're referred to as "genius grants," you know

When does your stipend run out?

what's a "stipend?"

confused-smiley-013.gif

well, no, but they do have gigantic ca$h prizes! and they're referred to as "genius grants," you know

When does your stipend run out?

what's a "stipend?"

confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it's a lot like a "henweigh".

I was doing an internet search on restoration today and came across an interesting discussion in a US patent application covering a system of classification and rating/scoring of comic book restoration of all things foreheadslap.gif apparently written by Tracey Heft. I haven't read it all yet, so I'm not sure how it compares to the system that Matt Nelson wrote up in the Overstreet Grading Guide.

It's dry, but interesting information.

Wonder how (or even if) this will affect CGC's new restoration/conservation classification system being considered for its new labels?

BTW, you have a wife now, why are you still leading a boring life and reviewing patent applications for fun!! makepoint.gifpoke2.gif

popcorn.gif

Yea, but I posted mine at 11:52 pm and my wife, exhausted from the two kids, was already sleeping. You were posting during a key hour where newlyweds were supposed to be engaged in other activities!

Geez, c'mon, Lost wasn't even on yet!!!! poke2.gif

assmuncher. mad.gif

Then go kill Mark.

HEY! This has to got to be against the rules. ADMINSTRATOR!!!! sumo.gif

If I am reading his application correctly, and admitedly I reviewed it quickly as I am preparing for arguments before the DC Circuit tomorrow in the anthrax vaccine litigation, Heft seems to be saying pressing is restoration (or at least conservation). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

More discussion to follow for sure.

popcorn.gif

Since you were reading these threads Tracey, can you confirm the category to which pressing falls as set forth in your patent application.

And what is the status of your application?

Thanks.

If I am reading his application correctly, and admitedly I reviewed it quickly as I am preparing for arguments before the DC Circuit tomorrow in the anthrax vaccine litigation, Heft seems to be saying pressing is restoration (or at least conservation). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

Since you were reading these threads Tracey, can you confirm the category to which pressing falls as set forth in your patent application.

Thanks.

screw the pressing, what about trimming?

enquiring minds want to know

popcorn.gif

Thanks.

Sal;

I believe this is what he states with respect to pressing and trimming:

"[0063] This resulted in a scale where Pressing as a procedure is considered the least intrusive, while Trimming/Shaving of the item is the most intrusive. The more intrusive and altering procedures of bleaching, piece replacement, color-matching, resizing and reglossing rated on par with trimming and shaving of original paper."

On his scale of 1 through 5, it looks like he rates pressing as a 1 on his scale while trimming rates as a 5 on his scale. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

Thanks.

Sal;

"[0063] This resulted in a scale where Pressing as a procedure is considered the least intrusive, while Trimming/Shaving of the item is the most intrusive. The more intrusive and altering procedures of bleaching, piece replacement, color-matching, resizing and reglossing rated on par with trimming and shaving of original paper."

On his scale of 1 through 5, it looks like he rates pressing as a 1 on his scale while trimming rates as a 5 on his scale. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is the question here whether trimming is considered "restoration"? I don't think it really matters whether you consider it "restoration" or "destructive, aesthetically pleasing alteration." Either way, it registers on the alteration scale.

popcorn.gif

Thanks.

Sal;

Is the question here whether trimming is considered "restoration"? I don't think it really matters whether you consider it "restoration" or "destructive, aesthetically pleasing alteration." Either way, it registers on the alteration scale.

i think it does kind of matter whether or not trimming gets lumped in with "restoration," because a "restored" book is a whole lot easier to sell than a book "altered by destructive, aesthetically pleasing" means.

actually, since i don't own any of either type, i guess it doesn't matter. i just thought it seemed as though trimming was going to get the "restoration stamp of approval," to coin a phrase, which to me seems one small step closer to acceptance. if that makes sense

i think it does kind of matter whether or not trimming gets lumped in with "restoration," because a "restored" book is a whole lot easier to sell than a book "altered by destructive, aesthetically pleasing" means.

actually, since i don't own any of either type, i guess it doesn't matter. i just thought it seemed as though trimming was going to get the "restoration stamp of approval," to coin a phrase, which to me seems one small step closer to acceptance. if that makes sense

I get what you're saying, and I don't personally consider trimming to be restoration -- it is aesthetic destruction, just like a Botox injection or a facelift. Or liposuction.

As for whether reclassification would help sell a trimmed book, I don't think so. CGC classifies it as restoration right now by using their purple label for trimmed books. Purple label trimmed books with otherwise slight professional restoration tend to sell for slightly less money than purple label untrimmed books in the same grade with slight professional restoration. When you get to moderate or extensive restoration, I don't think the buyers care as much about trimming and there's no real price difference -- and plenty of instances where trimmed books sell for more than the untrimmed ones. This is not because trimming is desirable. I believe it's just caused by different factors that influence any auction and cause two of the same book in the same grade to sell for vastly different prices a few months apart.