• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you Press a Foil Comic ?
3 3

9 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2023 at 4:59 AM, Colin Nash said:

With foil comics in vogue at the moment. I thought I would ask this question. Are there any do's and dont's?

I would just say "don't".  There are a number of types of books that I don't press -- foil covers are one of them.  If you do try, I would suggest a lower than normal temperature.  I also find foil covers more susceptible to spine ticks and color breaks... good luck! 

Yup, you can press foil covers. Just make sure to go with lower temps (125-135 degrees at most) and also do not put as much pressure on the book as you would with a non-foil. The other thing I do too, for example on a modern where I would leave it run for 10 minutes at the allotted temps, I just reduce the amount of time for a foil to 6 or so minutes.

Find a few cheap foil books and practice if you can.

Best of luck as I bet there are also other thoughts out there.

The question is, can CGC press a foil comic? I had an embossed one the pressing fee was refunded saying they could not do it. I have another, just foil, that I am waiting to get back and it is in "Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging" so I assume it has been signed and pressed and not burnt to a crisp. :( 

Very unhappy with what I got back. It was not as I sent it to CGC. It got a 9.6 which is good but came back with smudges on the back that were not there when I sent it in and some front spine ticks that I can't get a good picture of these. I can't tell if the smudges are on the comic or the interior plastic but will not wipe off.

20231004_155638.jpg

20231004_155643.jpg

20231004_155702.jpg

ManOfSteel#1_foil_2018_s1.jpg

NO WAY! A few years ago I asked one of the guys at the cgc booth and was told they can press anything.  Right there I knew he was full of IT.  I contacted cgc and was told Foil books can't be pressed.  Prior to that I sent in lethal protector 1 gold and of course there was no change whatsoever in the cover.  I don't know if they even tried, but I do know I paid for it and got nothing.

Edited by juniorMC

On 10/4/2023 at 5:43 PM, WDBill said:

Very unhappy with what I got back. It was not as I sent it to CGC. It got a 9.6 which is good but came back with smudges on the back that were not there when I sent it in and some front spine ticks that I can't get a good picture of these. I can't tell if the smudges are on the comic or the interior plastic but will not wipe off.

20231004_155638.jpg

20231004_155643.jpg

20231004_155702.jpg

ManOfSteel#1_foil_2018_s1.jpg

U may have to go outside in the sun to get a decent pic