• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riverdale S7 Homage to EC

6 posts in this topic

I need to catch up.

Loved this show - but dropped off half-way through season 5 (which was split up due to pandemic filming delays).

Season 1 is amazing - and the pilot episode is an all-time great first episode of television - up there with the first episodes of Friday Night Lights, Breaking Bad and Lost.

I don't think the show is really aimed at teens - but rather Gen X parents.

Why?

*Way* too many intentional castings of 90s TV stars - hitting that nostalgia button. Like:

• Luke Perry (Beverly Hills 90210)
  • Skeet Ulrich (Scream, The Craft)
  • Molly Ringwald
  • Robin Givens (Head of the Class)
  • Madchen Amick (Twin Peaks)
  • Mark Consuelos (All My Children)
  • Chad Michael Murray (One Tree Hill)

So...it may be more specifically geared towards Gen X *mothers* but it's definitely not primarily for teens.

Also, I first heard about it from (late 40s) boss 5-6 years ago - she watched it religiously.

Took me a few years later to discover the show for myself - and it's amazing.

*Far* better than it has any right to be.

Also - spoiler for Season 4, but it was surreal watching the show in real-time during the back half of season 3 because Luke Perry died in real life - but the show was filmed so far ahead that he continued to appear in the next 6-7 episodes.

The show didn't deal with his death until months later in the premiere of Season 4, where we learned his character was killed in a hit-and-run car accident - and

Spoiler

the driver of the car was none other than 90210's Shannon Doherty.

Great comments. Think I will have to go all the way back to the beginning. Coolest thing was jughead became a writer for al feldstein and they played three horror episodes he wrote (in the fashion of EC).

One thing I noticed is the series seems a lot more adult themed than 9021 or 90s type shows. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's pretty riske.

Edited by bronze_rules