• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supes 1 cover
4 4

51 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2023 at 5:35 AM, thecollectron said:

It looks to me like a cover from a Famous First Edition.

Bingo!!! No one in there right mind would sell a cover/back of a Superman 1 for under 3K hahahaha that would go for easy 40-50k if not more 

On 9/10/2023 at 4:21 PM, Kalel38 said:

Bingo!!! No one in there right mind would sell a cover/back of a Superman 1 for under 3K hahahaha that would go for easy 40-50k if not more 

Well apparently it’s been confirmed not to be the Famous First Edition. But I still agree with you and assume it’s simply a replica, repro cover made to look old and original. I’d probably take a chance on it for $100 or less, but too much of a risk otherwise. Although no matter what it would sell for, if it’s less than like $30K and not from a legit auction house I’d just assume it’s a fraud. However with eBay buyer protection I guess buyer is covered, but still a scary endeavor.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/10/2023 at 4:21 PM, Kalel38 said:

Exactly and not running this first through express grading makes even less sense. Way too much money left on the table if this is legit.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, I am not Glenda said:

Just a quick update: I saw the cover today & its 1000% legit, Very strong colors, its on its way to CGC and the new owner is stoked.

Just a point of reference for anyone saying no way, it can't be real I assure you when I went to see it I approached the cover with the same skepticism.

At this point there is not much that I have not seen in this hobby However, Its a big score & it blows me away this is was out there in 2023. 

She's a Bad Mama Jama!

Will be interesting to see what happens when it comes back from CGC. That’s nuts if it’s truly real, and if so I guess sometimes too good to be true isn’t. Huge congrats to the owner if it comes back legit that’s for sure! I still personally would never have taken a $2K gamble, forget about the second sale for $12K. But I guess anything is possible.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/12/2023 at 2:02 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Will be interesting to see what happens when it comes back from CGC. That’s nuts if it’s truly real, and if so I guess sometimes too good to be true isn’t. Huge congrats to the owner if it comes back legit that’s for sure! I still personally would never have taken a $2K gamble, forget about the second sale for $12K. But I guess anything is possible.

My buddy knew there was a chance it was not legit, but if that was the case he was covered via Paypal ( yes it's a hassle) but if all go's well its a big hit and really was a case of risk vs reward. 

Edited by I am not Glenda

On 9/27/2023 at 6:51 PM, Crowzilla said:

Does the color touch affect the value of something like this, or would any coverless copy this was married to already get a purple label?

I think a married cover would get a green label. Where do you see color touch? I can't see any bleed through.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:56 AM, AJD said:

I think a married cover would get a green label. Where do you see color touch? I can't see any bleed through.

You don't need bleed through to have color touch, but I thought it was very obvious in the blue on the front cover. Back cover I would want to see in hand, but I suspect it there also.

On 9/28/2023 at 11:22 PM, Crowzilla said:

You don't need bleed through to have color touch, but I thought it was very obvious in the blue on the front cover. Back cover I would want to see in hand, but I suspect it there also.

Ah, yes, I think you're right. Well spotted.

On 9/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, Courageous Cat said:

Well? Any update? Surely he sent it via walkthrough 

It looks it came back as a blue label CVR and it is listed on eBay now for $80K.

This reminds me of the time 10 or 15ish years ago that another boardie purchased an early Action with Superman on the cover (#10 I think) for pennies on the dollar on eBay and flipped it for a lot more.

On 10/2/2023 at 5:02 PM, Superman2006 said:

It looks it came back as a blue label CVR and it is listed on eBay now for $80K.

Blue label, that's great!

I suspect those odd light blue areas on the Superman figure that look like color touch mismatch were just a trick of light hitting those creases. That's thrown me before when scrutinizing digital pics for resto.

On 10/2/2023 at 7:29 PM, Point Five said:

Blue label, that's great!

I suspect those odd light blue areas on the Superman figure that look like color touch mismatch were just a trick of light hitting those creases. That's thrown me before when scrutinizing digital pics for resto.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but it's definitely hard to tell for sure without the book in hand.