• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will James Gunn help, or hurt the future of DC Comics films?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2023 at 1:33 PM, Cman429 said:

He’ll never get to finish his plan. He’s a very good filmmaker and I’m sure all his movies will be good to possibly great but people are over superheroes. Especially if you’re rebooting the same material over & over aka Superman. 

I predict his Superman movie will do decent but unspectacular business, say $800 million world, and that won’t be enough for WB who want billion plus grosses. Then one of the lesser known characters he picked - Authority or Supergirl my guess - will be an outright an bomb so they’ll let him finish his last movie or two then quietly let him go. 

Yes I don't think imitating the MCU's concept of picking very obscure characters will be a good decision for Gunn.  He should focus on Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Super Girl, Shazam!, the Justice League characters, and the original Justice Society characters, Hawkman, Specter et al.. Just my opinion :)

On 10/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, MAR1979 said:

To me Snyders color palate is not "Noir" or "Moody",  its plain dreary and depressing. Too many like me it's simply a turn-off.

On 10/4/2023 at 12:59 PM, Bosco685 said:

Appreciate you sharing your experience. To many, they liked his story direction and how Superman brought Batman back to a more positive path along with Wonder Woman wanting to be more engaged and out from the shadows.

Not sure where 'moody' came into that if you watch the films.

Just to be clear, I don't like the lack of Colors in Snyder's DC films and I have not commented on anything else but Color palate.   Thus my reference to "gritty" "moody" and "noir"  is directed solely at the muted colors in Snyder directed DC films not anything to do with story or plot. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/4/2023 at 2:36 PM, MAR1979 said:

Just to be clear, I don't like the lack of Colors in Snyder's DC films and I have not commented on anything else but Color palate.   Thus my reference to "gritty" "moody" and "noir"  is directed solely at the muted colors in Snyder directed DC films not anything to do with story or plot. 

Lack of colors?

I'm a simple man, and out of this entire new universe/lineup all I want is:

1) The Swamp Thing movie to be decent (They can honestly go in any direction with it. If they want a lighter movie then go full camp like the originals, or serious dark like the TV show which did a great job). I'm just happy to see him on screen again and have him reintroduced into pop-culture.

2) One of the 'unknown' character movies to be a massive bonkers gangbusters success that brings is so much money it makes WB greedy and has them 100% greenlight an Hourman movie, hoping to strike gold twice with a lesser character. Just give me CRANK with a costume and it will be perfect. GIVE ME MY HOURMAN!

On 10/4/2023 at 1:33 PM, Cman429 said:

He’ll never get to finish his plan. He’s a very good filmmaker and I’m sure all his movies will be good to possibly great but people are over superheroes. Especially if you’re rebooting the same material over & over aka Superman. 

I predict his Superman movie will do decent but unspectacular business, say $800 million world, and that won’t be enough for WB who want billion plus grosses. Then one of the lesser known characters he picked - Authority or Supergirl my guess - will be an outright an bomb so they’ll let him finish his last movie or two then quietly let him go. 

I think DC would be positively thrilled to have a film get to 800m at this point.  Especially after their last several films.  

I mean, maybe not if they spend 300m making it....

On 10/4/2023 at 8:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

Where Gunn has a better chance of doing his own world building is as co-CEO he controls their destiny.

It's ignorant to ignore all the tampering that took place due to how WB Studios runs its operations:

1. Christopher Nolan had to demand Jon Peters (giant spider and polar bears guy) be restricted from showing up to Man of Steel shoots due to attempts at tampering.
  2. David Goyer had to deal with a WB exec wanting Kal-El to have access to a rocket so he could return back to Krypton at the end of Man of Steel.
  3. Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara made the 2014 DC roadmap announcement and then by 2016 over-reacted due to BVS critic and blogger reactions even though it was profitable. The MCU had its 2nd film actually bomb at the box office (Incredible Hulk) and 5th film (Captain America) just break even yet it had the leadership maturity and belief in itself to push on.
  4. Suicide Squad (2016) had so much WB exec tampering to disconnect from MOS and BVS six (6) cuts of the film were created by the third-party trailer designer without David Ayers' involvement. Yet it still became a financial success despite this disruption.
  5. The 'Head of DC Films' changed from Charles Roven/Emma Thomas/Deborah Snyder to Jon Berg/Geoff Johns to Walter Hamada to now James Gunn/Peter Safran. And with each shift the roadmap and direction shifted. Including recently shifting much of The Flash ending leading to Crisis On Infinite Earths and removing this content.

But let's blame Zack Snyder for all this, and ignore the WB Studios culture and tampering as it rushed to catch up with Marvel Studios.

:golfclap:

I wasn't blaming ZS.  I loved his 3 movies, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman (Ultimate Cute) and ZSJL.  I just personally think superhero movies hit their peak with Avengers Endgame and are now on the down slope to fading out (not completely but way fewer being made than before).  Add that to the fact that I and I am thinking others as well consider DC "damaged" goods at the box office.  The last 7 movies have been, honestly box office poison or just outright crappy movies (Blue Beetle, Flash, Shazam 2, Black Adam, Suicide Squad, WW84, Birds of Prey).

On 10/4/2023 at 4:59 PM, media_junkie said:

I wasn't blaming ZS.  I loved his 3 movies, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman (Ultimate Cute) and ZSJL.  I just personally think superhero movies hit their peak with Avengers Endgame and are now on the down slope to fading out (not completely but way fewer being made than before).  Add that to the fact that I and I am thinking others as well consider DC "damaged" goods at the box office.  The last 7 movies have been, honestly box office poison or just outright crappy movies (Blue Beetle, Flash, Shazam 2, Black Adam, Suicide Squad, WW84, Birds of Prey).

Although I enjoyed Black Adam, and The Flash was somewhat entertaining even with tampering in the end, I do get your points.

We don't need this forced connected universe with everything. But have some form of plan what it is you are putting out. And stick to it at least.

I thought Black Adam was fine - your average hero flick. 

The Flash was bad. 

Shazam 2 was maybe a smidge better but still bad.

I have not seen Blue Beetle yet so I can't comment, but I will be going in with extremely low expectations when I can finally stream it for free.