• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What contemporary artists do you forsee becoming legendary?

99 posts in this topic

Not that Charest is done for (he will eventually finish Dreamshifters and it WILL be one of the greatest comics ever produced) but Steranko had a similarly short/ spectacular comics career and no one would argue his HOF status (although I shouldn't say "no one" around here 27_laughing.gif)

The key differences between Steranko and Charest are that (1) Steranko was an innovator as well as a top-notch artist and (2) Steranko worked on books that became classics (Nick Fury, X-Men, Captain America, etc.) whereas Charest's very short resume is filled with forgettable 893censored-thumb.gif like WildC.A.T.S. frustrated.gif

Travis Charest? Great talent, but inducting him into the HOF would be like inducting a baseball player who had 2 good seasons and called it quits.

So Steranko isn't in the HOF then right? tongue.gif

Don't be a tool. 893naughty-thumb.gif Steranko is in the HOF like Sandy Koufax is in the HOF. Any comparison of Steranko to Charest is just screwy.gif.

Any comparison of Steranko to Charest is just screwy.gif.

Uh, didn't you just make that comparison? poke2.gif

Sure, responding to Rob and I was comparing their differences, not putting them in the same or similar category.

For certain folks Charest's work is more than memorable. For me, his WildCATS/X-Men work is amongst the best comic art I've ever seen, his WildCATS stories with Alan Moore are great comics by any measure, and his covers are easily amongst the best of his era.

Of course, when we finally see Dreamshifters... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Travis Charest? Great talent, but inducting him into the HOF would be like inducting a baseball player who had 2 good seasons and called it quits. Hardly anyone remembers his work anymore.

Well, he did sell a painting on eBay for over $10,000 so someone remembers him.

Not that Charest is done for (he will eventually finish Dreamshifters and it WILL be one of the greatest comics ever produced) but Steranko had a similarly short/ spectacular comics career and no one would argue his HOF status (although I shouldn't say "no one" around here 27_laughing.gif)

Does anyone besides me remember when Charest first started working in comics? He had to be one of the worst artists working for Image, DC or Marvel.

Are you serious? "For certain folks Charest's work is more than memorable. For me, his WildCATS/X-Men work is amongst the best comic art I've ever seen, his WildCATS stories with Alan Moore are great comics by any measure, and his covers are easily amongst the best of his era."

Did Kirby, Adams, or Steranko ever create something this bad as his covers for Batman 488-490 or his Darkstars covers at any point in their career?

Travis Charest? Great talent, but inducting him into the HOF would be like inducting a baseball player who had 2 good seasons and called it quits. Hardly anyone remembers his work anymore.

Well, he did sell a painting on eBay for over $10,000 so someone remembers him.

Does anyone besides me remember when Charest first started working in comics? He had to be one of the worst artists working for Image, DC or Marvel.

Are you serious? "For certain folks Charest's work is more than memorable. For me, his WildCATS/X-Men work is amongst the best comic art I've ever seen, his WildCATS stories with Alan Moore are great comics by any measure, and his covers are easily amongst the best of his era."

Did Kirby, Adams, or Steranko ever create something this bad as his covers for Batman 488-490 or his Darkstars covers at any point in their career?

Just checking- since he did bad, derivitive work early in his career, he's excluded from doing good work later? Tough standard. Poor Barry Windsor Smith.

As for "Am I serious" I'm VERY serious. WildCATS/X-Men is one of my favorite "art" books of all time and his covers for Wilstorm are amongst my favorite comic book images of the past 20 years.

I'd also kill to see Dreamshifters on the shelves insane.gif

1021548-CDream2asdfg.jpg

1021548-CDream2asdfg.jpg.af9d429610570b1a9d9cd01e924a0065.jpg

No J. Scott Campbell fans?

893censored-thumb.gif no, that guy is AWFUL. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Frankly, I think that very few of the artists mentioned in this thread are worthy of induction into the Comic Art Hall of Fame (if there were one). I mean, sure, Alex Ross, Jim Lee and Bill Sienkiewicz are shoo-ins (I'm speaking from an outside third party point of view, not just based on my personal preferences), but some of the other suggestions are just screwy.gif. Don't get me wrong, they are mostly good artists, but legendary/Hall of Fame caliber? David Finch? Solid artist, but since Marc Silvestri (very similar styles, IMO) doesn't get my HOF vote, neither would he. Glenn Fabry? You'd have to induct Earl Norem and Bob Larkin into the HOF way before that guy. Speaking of painters, the fascination with Simon Bisley continues to elude me completely. I've seen his religious paintings and his comic art and I just don't get it. Greg Land? Hey, I own 5 pieces of his artwork, but I have to admit that it bugs me that all of his female characters look exactly alike and the obvious magazine swipes annoy me to no end. Until he kicks that habit, he wouldn't get my HOF vote. Bryan Hitch and Michael Lark are two other artists known to be very photo-reference dependent - I like them both but it's way too soon to put them in the "legendary" category. How much top-quality work have they really produced to date?

Travis Charest? Great talent, but inducting him into the HOF would be like inducting a baseball player who had 2 good seasons and called it quits. Hardly anyone remembers his work anymore. Sam Kieth, Eduardo Risso, Eric Powell, Chris Bachalo, Frank Quitely? Unique styles, to be sure, but HOF material? Not in my book, at least not yet. Cary Nord? His pre-Conan work was surely not HOF material, but let's see what he can do in the future. Ethan van Sciver? Definitely a solid, if unspectacular, artist...if he continues to develop and build on his body of work over the next couple of decades, he could eventually get my HOF vote, but it's too soon to tell. I despise Todd McFarlane's art, but I would hold my nose and vote for him. No doubt he has been tremendously influential. John Cassaday? Has potential, but hasn't developed a large enough body of well-known work yet. Adam Hughes? Possibly, but only because his contemporaries have been so bad. I would have to demand that the Veterans Committee of the HOF induct Jose Gonzalez, and some of the other lesser known '70s talents who were far superior than AH in drawing beautiful women, first.

Gene,

While I tend to thing you are one of the more intellegent posters on here, I do think you missed the point of this thread. It was started with the inexact theory of which artists do we think have the potiental in the future, to become HOF caliber artists. It's one thing to say who is worthy now, as compared to who can be in the future. Alot of the artists mentioned here are young and still very active. These are people with the right projects and motivation, can become extremely important to this industry. Not to say that everyone will or that all will live up to their potential.

It's alot like the NBA draft that had the Portland Trailblazers picking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.....We all know what became of Jordan, and any knowledgable basketball fan can tell you that Bowie seemed like the better pick at that time.....he just didn't live up to that potential. And who really knew that Jordan would turn out to be what he did. Even in the first few years, he didn't set the league on fire. It took a few years and several things had to fall into place for him to rise.

We are just trying to pick out the diamonds in the rough....

I tend to believe that they aren't many people's style, but to each his own. Those covers have the stench of the early 90s all over them.

Whether they do or not doesn't really affect the work he did later in his career. confused-smiley-013.gif