• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Article on Nostalgia tied to loneliness
1 1

49 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, Bronty said:

And TBH I can understand wanting the exact version that was for sale in your own country; that's fair.

On occasion, I buy TV Guides.  They'll be marked with the city applicable to the TV listings.  I basically bought the TV Guides for the covers.  But some people want the TV Guide that was specific to their hometown TV networks (e.g. local channels/shows/times, ads, etc).

Yeah, that's the same thing in that people want what was local to their area.    At the same time however, its a little different in that I presume there isn't a 50% discount between a New York TV guide and an LA TV guide.

On 10/27/2023 at 11:52 PM, comix4fun said:
On 10/27/2023 at 10:22 PM, tth2 said:

Not necessarily.  The sad reality is that most of the American public won't watch a show if everyone speaks with an English accent, let alone a foreign language where they'd have to read subtitles. 

So the only way to expose them to a decent TV show or movie is to reshoot it with people speaking 'Murican. 

It's not the accent (for most viewers at least) it's the vernacular, slang, and location specific jokes and commentary that don't translate as well or as completely. 

Also, the production values and budget per episode can vary wildly. The example I go to is UK Office vs US Office. A lot translates, some doesn't, but those UK episodes were shot on a sliver of the budget of the US version and you can see it in camera work and overall production value. 

Well, let me put it this way--I think the bias against a show not being American is so strong that I wouldn't be surprised if some Hollywood exec managed to sell the idea of reshooting "The Crown" and "Downton Abbey" with people speaking 'Murican (I can't just say "with an American cast" because these days so many actors speaking 'Murican are actually Brits or Aussies).

On 10/27/2023 at 10:16 PM, tth2 said:

Well, let me put it this way--I think the bias against a show not being American is so strong that I wouldn't be surprised if some Hollywood exec managed to sell the idea of reshooting "The Crown" and "Downton Abbey" with people speaking 'Murican (I can't just say "with an American cast" because these days so many actors speaking 'Murican are actually Brits or Aussies).

I can see that happening. I am sure that's happened in fact. 

https://lostmediawiki.com/King_of_Van_Nuys_(found_ABC_pilot_for_cancelled_American_remake_of_"Only_Fools_and_Horses";_2012)

PS: Nicholas Lyndhurst of Only Fools fame (not featured in the above clip however) now appears in the re-booted Frasier.

PPS: I assume the phase "Only fools and horses" is familiar in the US with its unwritten last word "work"??

Edited by themagicrobot

On 10/28/2023 at 10:56 PM, comix4fun said:
On 10/28/2023 at 11:16 AM, tth2 said:

I can see that happening. I am sure that's happened in fact. 

We don't even need to use our imaginations to see what it'd be like.

On 10/28/2023 at 6:34 PM, themagicrobot said:

https://lostmediawiki.com/King_of_Van_Nuys_(found_ABC_pilot_for_cancelled_American_remake_of_"Only_Fools_and_Horses";_2012)

PS: Nicholas Lyndhurst of Only Fools fame (not featured in the above clip however) now appears in the re-booted Frasier.

PPS: I assume the phase "with the playing of recordsOnly fools and horses" is familiar in the US with its unwritten last word "work"??

Reminds me of a similar experience that actually happened to me in the late 1980s . . . A friend at the time was a DJ in one of the Liverpool (UK) nightclubs where I (sometimes) assisted with the playing of records .  One night I was sitting on the edge of the DJ's cubicle chatting-up a gorgeous blonde and was in the process of arranging a date with her.  I leaned over to whisper something in her ear, lost my balance, and went crashing sideways into a nearby table full of drinks!  As I picked myself up from the debris of broken glass, doused in spilt alcohol, my gorgeous blonde friend was nowhere to be seen!  :(