• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Link Fall Featured Auction Nov 17
2 2

125 posts in this topic

Color v Black & White art. I think it’s an authenticity thing. If there’s a painted cover on your wall, there’s no trade dress that says “this is a comic book cover,” unless the viewer is familiar with it. And even then, is it a print? Recreation? Copy? 

Is psychological. Unless the painting is great as a stand alone piece of art. 

On 12/10/2023 at 6:51 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Color v Black & White art. I think it’s an authenticity thing. If there’s a painted cover on your wall, there’s no trade dress that says “this is a comic book cover,” unless the viewer is familiar with it. And even then, is it a print? Recreation? Copy? 

Is psychological. Unless the painting is great as a stand alone piece of art. 

I agree completely that its a psychological thing, and the trade dress is part of that for sure.

As for whether its a print or a recreation, I'd argue that's psychological too; anyone with experience collecting that kind of material doesn't have those concerns because you know what to look for.    But for someone used to B&W work, sure, its a concern, they aren't as comfortable with authenticity and that can be a psychological hurdle to get over.

Edited by Bronty