• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hindsight is 20/20
2 2

61 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2023 at 7:12 PM, tth2 said:

IF you get to keep 100% of the payoff.  But my understanding is that if there are multiple winners, the pot gets divided up between the multiple winners (i.e., if the consolation pot for people that get 5 of 6 is $150,000 and there are 2 winners, they each get only $75,000, not $150,000 each).

So if the consolation pot is $150,000, then $100,000 means you can win $150,000.  But if some other person also gets 5 of 6 (and my impression is that there are usually multiple winners of the consolation prizes), then suddenly your $100,000 investment only pays out $75,000.  And if there are two other people that also get 5 of 6, then your $100,000 investment now only nets $50,000.  

I guess with that $100,000 buy you are likely to also win some of the even lower tier consolation prizes (e.g., 4 of 6), which will help to mitigate your losses somewhat, but they'd have much lower payouts and there would be even more additional winners to divvy up the pie with.

The pot is at least $5 million to be split.  Those MIT kids are really smart.