• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Sold, thank you! World's Finest #71 (Batman and Superman team up begins and the story of the "Evelyn" Collection is posted
2 2

24 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2023 at 12:33 AM, Ameri said:

Hi Sharon, long time no hear. Miss you!  I was always on the phone with Evelyn's husband who was Pat. He told me a different story about the microfiche project. Pat told me he was in the army corp of engineers during WW2 with a bunch of other guys in the microfiche and photographic departments. They were responsible for producing and supplying blueprints and maps to the army brass. His buddies were also avid comic book readers and they got together after the war to photograph every page of all their comic books from cover to cover. It was a massive undertaking. Most of the digital comics on CDs out there today are Pat's comic books that he personally microfiched in the 1950's and 1960's. In 1990, he was contacted by Microfiche International in New Jersey to supply that company with full series of DC, Timely and Fawcett comics. Those microfiche from the 90's have become collectors items. They were eventually phased out because DC and Marvel no longer wanted to license reprints on microfiche. Instead, DC and Marvel figured they could reprint the stories themselves in hardcover which is exactly what happened and that's when the Marvel Masterworks and DC Archives started. I bought many microfiche from Pat's own collection. These have made their way to Digital Comic Museum and other public domain platforms. When Pat took ill, Evelyn was trying to sell off his comics and she contacted our mutual friend Richard (the Ebay seller) to facilitate sales. Pat had everything. Full runs of Action, Detective, Marvel Mystery. You name it, he had it. He was missing some early New Funs and More Funs and to this day the digital CD companies still don't have those missing issues like 3,6,7,8,18,20,26. For those unacquainted with microfiche, here's an example and the reader needed to view them.  

microfiche shot.jpg

Thanks, Frank!  I knew you knew about the microfiches...the info I got was from Richard S.

Yes, now that Covid is done, we should make plans after the holidays:)...give my regards to your wife! 

On 11/28/2023 at 12:39 AM, skypinkblu said:

Thanks, Frank!  I knew you knew about the microfiches...the info I got was from Richard S.

Yes, now that Covid is done, we should make plans after the holidays:)...give my regards to your wife! 

(thumbsu

BTW, Richard Olsen also told me about A microfiche  project, only it wasn't about the army, so maybe there was some kind of secondary project. In any case yours is much more interesting...I never knew about the archives starting that way...Thanks again!

Wow! That was a good read. Thank you very much to the both of you for taking the time to share that. My mind naturally wonders to 'what Archie was in there..'

As for the microfiche aspect, I find it very interesting that this was a project undertaken by a group of WWII veterans who were using their war skills after the war like that. I remember using these in libraries to look at old newspapers. I suspect from the above that the process was tedious to create these fiches. How was a microfiche created?