• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cherry Picking

40 posts in this topic

nikos everyone of those was fabulous. Seeing that FF again brings back memories.

The silver surfer on that cover has always been a great little drawing.

One of our surfer posters should use it for an avatar. thumbsup2.gif

confused.gif
Speaking of which, I made that avatar for you back before Halloween, and you're still running around with it.

What's the deal? confused-smiley-013.gif

You want change, you change it! confused-smiley-013.gif

I love when I get a call from my LCS cloud9.gif and I get a chance to go through a recent collection.

I bought about 300+ common BA books from him, avg cost ended up being about $3.00 each.

Nikos;

Are you sure that you got the price right or am I missing something here?

After all, $3.00 for CGC 9.6 and 9.4 BA books seems to be a nonsensical price to be selling these books for. Especially when it would cost a lot more than that just to get these books graded. For the LCS to be selling them to you at $3.00 a pop means that they must have gotten it for less than $3.00 each.

Now who in their right mind would be selling off their HG CGC BA books for less than $3.00 each. screwy.gif

I love when I get a call from my LCS cloud9.gif and I get a chance to go through a recent collection.

I bought about 300+ common BA books from him, avg cost ended up being about $3.00 each.

Nikos;

After all, $3.00 for CGC 9.6 and 9.4 BA books seems to be a nonsensical price to be selling these books for. Especially when it would cost a lot more than that just to get these books graded. For the LCS to be selling them to you at $3.00 a pop means that they must have gotten it for less than $3.00 each.

Now who in their right mind would be selling off their HG CGC BA books for less than $3.00 each. screwy.gif

He bought them raw at $3 a shot.

Nikos;

You would be surprised. I don't think there is but 1 or 2 collections that I have bought that have averaged more than $1 per book.

let's emphasize that nikos bought them RAW, not slabbed

and yeah, if you're friendly with a dealer, i can totally see him doing that. the dealer is probably busy pulling the big keys he thinks he can sell in the store. high grade non-keys may not be big movers for him if he isn't selling on ebay. and esoteric stuff like the legion of monsters, i guess a semi-key, maybe he just didn't pay attention. and nikos bought a bunch of stuff so the dealer probably let a few of his "steals" slide.

of course, a few of those i would expect most dealers to not want to sell for $3 even to a valued customer, like the sharp ASM 144. i suspect nikos bought some issues that turned out to be worth closer to $3 that tended to even things out. much like when i do a convention dollar bin hunt. i get home and look at the stuff and 20% is "wow, I can't believe I got this for that price", 20% is "I shouldn't have bought that" and the middle 60% I'm just generally happy with.

i see a post like this and i start looking through my boxes for slab-worthy BA books and see a bunch and then I remember it will cost me $15-$25 a pop and I think better of it.

Well, if Nikos showed up at my shop and was ready to drop a G I would probably give him a similiar deal. Depending on the size of the collection and the dealer I bet he paid less than $1 a book. So, flipping $1k to Nikos probably paid for the majority of the collection quickly. Nice grab Nikos smile.gif

It was a great deal. I have known/dealing with my LCS guy for almost 20 years. He does not believe in slabbing which is a good thing. I bought a bunch of keys and more expensive books from him, eg I bought 3 more Hulk 181s at $500 each, so in total I spent a little over 4k with him.

This collection that he bought were over 30 long boxes from an OO/dealer, alot was overstock, many multiples but not everyone was in the grade that I desired. Not to mention it took me a while to go though it and pull books that looked very nice.

Lets just say that we both made out pretty good from it smile.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

We're talking about a dealer, right? Usually the offer is 30% of original cover price, and that's on a good day.

OH, you dropped $4K!!!! Well, those books you're showing us are practically toss ins on a deal like that! I'd expect a stack of nice sharp BA books were I buying three friggin' Hulk 181s!

Alas, my days of working those sorts of deals are over. I have the loot but it will be spent in short order on a larger home, renovations, child expenses, etc.

OH, you dropped $4K!!!! Well, those books you're showing us are practically toss ins on a deal like that! I'd expect a stack of nice sharp BA books were I buying three friggin' Hulk 181s!

Alas, my days of working those sorts of deals are over. I have the loot but it will be spent in short order on a larger home, renovations, child expenses, etc.

Did I mention that 2 of the Hulk 181s came back CGC 9.4 ( both already sold) and the 3rd on is at home slabbed at a 9.2, so its pretty safe to say that I kinda recouped my money on the 2 Hulk 181s poke2.gif, and the rest of the books we will call good will smile.gif

Did I mention that 2 of the Hulk 181s came back CGC 9.4 ( both already sold) and the 3rd on is at home slabbed at a 9.2, so its pretty safe to say that I kinda recouped my money on the 2 Hulk 181s poke2.gif, and the rest of the books we will call good will smile.gif

893whatthe.gifhail.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I think I know exactly which LCS you are talking about. Maybe I should spend more money there if it gets me into deals like that! I could live in Southborough, too, if I could flip Hulk #181s for the kind of profit you must have made. smile.gif