• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When can we expect a totally redesigned holder from CGC?
6 6

62 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2024 at 6:10 PM, bc said:

I would seal the microchip directly in the top seal of the inner well (basically laminate into the inner well). That way it provides a secondary identification/authentication method. If the inner well is missing the chip or the chip can't be read or located in the database when a resub/reholder is received, it goes straight to the full grading process. 

Since several scams have leveraged the reholder/custom label/switching inner wells & labels, this provides a potential secondary validation point to identify fraudulent activity outside the current protective measures.

I do understand the QC concerns, but if they are going to improve the integrity of their brand, then some financial and process investments will be required.

Since the office above me specializes in microchip solutions and I've seen how versatile they are, here's a Wired article about how they are utilized in the Italian cheese industry:

https://wired.me/technology/parmesan-cheese-microchip/

-bc

Wouldn’t just sealing the label into the inner well be sufficient?

On 1/19/2024 at 10:13 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wouldn’t just sealing the label into the inner well be sufficient?

That would likely be a bigger change to the current production model and really doesn't provide any secondary authentication method.

If we treat it like cybersecurity, there are 3 authentication requirements:

• Something you know (such as a password)
  • Something you have (such as a smart card)
  • Something you are (such as a fingerprint or other biometric method)

In this case it would be:

• Something you know (the Certification number)
  • Something you have (the actual comic book)
  • Something you are (the microchip ID)

-bc