• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paramount's SEXY BEAST prequel series (2024)

6 posts in this topic

It traces the relationship between best friends and thieves Gal Dove and Don Logan, who together become involved in London's criminal world during the 1990s. Gal begins a romance with the seductively alluring adult film star Deedee, which proves to be a dangerous endeavor.

‘Sexy Beast’ Drama Series Gets Premiere Date At Paramount+; First-Look Photos

Paramount+ has set January 25 for the premiere of Sexy Beast, the drama series prequel to the 2000 cult British gangster movie, starring James McArdle, Emun Elliott, Tamsin Greig, Stephen Moyer and Sarah Greene. The series will premiere exclusively on the service in the U.S. and international territories where available.

Produced by AC Chapter One and Anonymous Content, in association with Paramount Television International Studios, the prequel series explores the origins of Gal (McArdle) and Don’s (Elliott) complicated relationship as they find themselves descending into the seductive madness of the London criminal world during the vibrant and volatile 1990s, while Gal’s budding relationship with Deedee (Greene) threatens everything in their world. 

Up to Episode 7, and this is turning out to be a good show. Plenty of the individual character traits that were conveyed in the 2000 movie, plus filling in the history holes what made each act the way they did. 

I wasn't sure this would work after all these years. But it does.

^^

Sexy Beast TV Review

Two decades later, Sexy Beast is back with Mellis and Scinto aboard as executive producers for a 1990-set foray into the origin story of Gal, Don, and Teddy Bass. Sexy Beast is more than just an attempt to milk intellectual property. Instead, it is a solid crime drama with well-placed callbacks to the modern classic movie that inspired it.

What I noticed immediately in the first episode of Sexy Beast was the physical similarity that James McArdle shares with Ray Winstone. With bleached blonde locks and a scruffy beard, both actors could convincingly play the same role decades apart. They share line delivery, mannerisms, and an opening shot of them in very different pools.

As a series, Sexy Beast is a standalone crime drama with intriguing characters and a plot worth investing in. However, I garnered more enjoyment out of the show because of the connections I found with the feature film. I would love to see if a second season of Sexy Beast can improve upon the first, but I hope audiences will discover this show and seek out the brilliant movie that inspired it even more.