• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help cracking a CGC slab. (No, really!)
3 3

33 posts in this topic

I have to admit I chuckled a bit when I first saw this topic since I never had any issues with this before. I just got 10 books from the CL auction for a crack and resub and I cant get two of them open due to be sealed all the way around like a safe. Both were recent encapsulations. 

The funny part to this story is another book from the group of 10 was also a recent encapsulation and it literally came apart in my hands like there was barely any glue there. I used my fingers to crack in completely open. This matches what happened with a recent book I submitted that came apart in my hands (they are doing an ME on that one). 

Seems like it is feast or famine right now with the sealant. Hopefully this works itself so things are consistent in the future. 

On 2/1/2024 at 5:48 AM, Funnybooks said:

but, seriously....take a hammer to the top left and right edges by the label...easily cracks the corners without harm to the book. Very east to pry the case apart thereafter with your hands.

place a towel underneath the slab between the floor and the slab

I got an impenetrable slab last week. Remembering the hammer trick; suggested, I used one to break a bottom post - it took the whole corner off, then I could start with a screwdriver to free the inner well and label.

On 2/13/2024 at 10:03 AM, lizards2 said:

I got an impenetrable slab last week. Remembering the hammer trick; suggested, I used one to break a bottom post - it took the whole corner off, then I could start with a screwdriver to free the inner well and label.

you're like an evolved reptile...like those found on the show V :cheers:

I thought this was just me.  I got two slabs from a Comic Link auction.  One was graded in September and the other in 2006.  The 2006 one popped open no problem.  But the one from September was a completely different story.  As others have described, the entire case was sealed, and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get any separation to wedge anything inside.  I finally resorted to using a hammer (very carefully) on a corner. 

On 2/14/2024 at 7:52 PM, conan09279 said:

I thought this was just me.  I got two slabs from a Comic Link auction.  One was graded in September and the other in 2006.  The 2006 one popped open no problem.  But the one from September was a completely different story.  As others have described, the entire case was sealed, and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get any separation to wedge anything inside.  I finally resorted to using a hammer (very carefully) on a corner. 

What I did was I put the screwdriver against the seam and gently tapped it in with a hammer until I got it in an inch or two. Once the screwdriver gets into the seam it works the same as with slabs that arent sealed as tightly and is no problem. 

On 2/15/2024 at 6:37 PM, Steven Valdez said:

CGC is now telling us to 'only buy from reputable dealers' i.e. those who we don't think are inclined to tamper with books. Begs the question, what's the point of CGC now?

Not sure what this has to do with how to crack open slabs that are sealed tight as a safe all the way around.

People who want to continually bash CGC have a home in the ASM 252 Record Sale thread and the CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees thread. Those threads seem like a better home for that comment. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 2/15/2024 at 3:37 PM, Steven Valdez said:

CGC is now telling us to 'only buy from reputable dealers' i.e. those who we don't think are inclined to tamper with books. Begs the question, what's the point of CGC now?

For me, I love CGC in that you can mostly get somewhat accurately graded carp at often cheaper than raw prices, especially at auction.

However, I love more, those dealers collectors that can actually accurately grade raw books, and sell at a decent price.