• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official King of Horror thread. Boris Karloff!
2 2

40 posts in this topic

For those interested there is a good documentary on Shudder (When it first released it was over 3 hours long but they went back and re-edited it an acceptable 99 minutes. The full 3 hours I think are now only found on physical releases, but I honestly don't recommend that version)

https://www.shudder.com/movies/watch/boris-karloff-the-man-behind-the-monster/d8ae9075460b0a71

On 5/14/2024 at 10:38 AM, Sauce Dog said:

For those interested there is a good documentary on Shudder (When it first released it was over 3 hours long but they went back and re-edited it an acceptable 99 minutes. The full 3 hours I think are now only found on physical releases, but I honestly don't recommend that version)

https://www.shudder.com/movies/watch/boris-karloff-the-man-behind-the-monster/d8ae9075460b0a71

Thank you. I will check it out.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 2:17 PM, piper said:

Anyone up to put together a Top 5 or 10 Horror Actor list?

For me Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, and Vincent Price have to be on it.  What mainstream modern actors should be on the list?

I am ready when you are ready. (thumbsu ps. Let`s do top 10.

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

For me Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, and Vincent Price have to be on it.  What mainstream modern actors should be on the list?

Udo Kier jumps out to me as a good bridge between the old Hammer style horror actors and the modern era.

Modern: Bruce Campbell, Barbara Crampton, Jeffrey Combs

On 5/14/2024 at 8:48 PM, Jayman said:

My father, long since passed, was born in 1922. He told me once that he saw Frankenstein in the theater when it was originally released. He remembered the scene where the monster walked out and you get to see him for the first time, people were literally screaming and covering their eyes! He did too. Modern society has become very jaded as to what we deem scary anymore.

IMG_3447.jpeg

On 5/14/2024 at 9:08 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

@Jayman

They say that Bela Lugosi had a similar opening in Dracula 1931, but I can`t find it anywhere?

I’m sure my father saw Dracula too, but I guess the Frankenstein movie was more memorable to him.

I did find this tidbit on Wikipedia though:

wikipedia notes: When the film finally premiered at the Roxy Theatre in New York on Feb. 12, 1931, newspapers reported that members of the audiences fainted in shock at the horror on screen.

On 5/14/2024 at 9:24 PM, Jayman said:

I’m sure my father saw Dracula too, but I guess the Frankenstein movie was more memorable to him.

I did find this tidbit on Wikipedia though:

wikipedia notes: When the film finally premiered at the Roxy Theatre in New York on Feb. 12, 1931, newspapers reported that members of the audiences fainted in shock at the horror on screen.

I guess pre-code horror movies. Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy, King Kong, heck even Tarzan. So before pre-code horror comics. Movies got hit first.

good long info here. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Code_Hollywood

On 2/14/2024 at 7:59 PM, conan09279 said:

If you haven’t seen it before, check out Targets. Karloff tells a story in the middle of the movie that is mesmerizing. Great flick.

image.jpeg.57aa3f3f48f7e62299c8a83d78e77d32.jpeg

The appointment in Samarra story? (Which I know from the O'Hara novel.) Just learned about this movie in the Roger Corman NYT obit.  Either this film or another one, supposedly Karloff owed Corman like a day or two of filming and they just worked him in.

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 6:06 PM, FoggyNelson said:

I never saw son of Frankenstein yet , maybe some day

The funny thing was I had insomnia(too much coffee) last night and caught it on the Pluto TV app. It was pretty good.  Basil Rathbone of Sherlock Holmes fame was in it. 

Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking