• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC is now grading pulp magazines
3 3

46 posts in this topic

Tried looking it up on CGC's Verification page (to potentially 'verify' that it left CGC looking as it should), but no pics are supplied there.  ???

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4419776002/

For those of you who submit pulps to CGC, I'd like to know if you have experienced any issues like the ones I've flagged here.

(As I alluded to before, I've had a similar issue with a GA comic that I submitted to CGC for slabbing, where some chips of interior paper got caught in the inner well... not nearly as bad as the CGC 6.5 Dime Mystery, but definitely worse than the CGC 7.0 Dime Detective. For my book specifically, it was definitely something that happened from the slab being shook around in transit, as the pics on the Verification page look better than what I received. It's a bummer.)

Pulps are so fragile by nature, and the encapsulation and shipping processes submit them to a lot of force. I sure hope this is rare, but I fear this sort of issue may be coming to the doorstep of anyone who submits pulps for slabbing on a regular basis.

On 6/14/2024 at 7:42 PM, Point Five said:

Someone just listed this CGC 6.5 Dime Mystery on MCS for $1900 and good God that right edge.  :eek:

Did those long fragments get stuck in the inner well during encapsulation? Or the slab bounced around in transit and they pulled loose?

I've dealt with this with CGC comic slabs pulling off the occasional chip or two but nothing on this scale.

7535816.thumb.jpg.6cfb1d1e744ee0345daccbe357673478.jpg

7535818.thumb.jpg.a785f915698eeebcd8c5e573ba738778.jpg

I've been reluctant to jump into pulp collecting thus far, opting to hang back and learn as much as I can from this forum and seeing what shows up on MCS before buying anything. They are definitely super cool and I'm intrigued, but seeing slabs like this gives me extreme trepidation about throwing money at graded copies. 

On 6/16/2024 at 8:46 AM, Ryan. said:

I've been reluctant to jump into pulp collecting thus far, opting to hang back and learn as much as I can from this forum and seeing what shows up on MCS before buying anything. They are definitely super cool and I'm intrigued, but seeing slabs like this gives me extreme trepidation about throwing money at graded copies. 

Thanks for the response.  :foryou: 

Just throwing scenarios out there, but I wonder if on average 1920s/30s books are more fragile and thus potentially more prone to this than pulps from the 40s/50s. Some rainy day I'll search through ebay and MCS listings and see if I see any more like the Dime Mystery 6.5.

The issue may also lie with the way CGC is shipping slabs back to people... that was true of my GA comic slab... but hard to be sure since there are no images on these verification pages. 

On 6/16/2024 at 9:47 AM, Point Five said:

Thanks for the response.  :foryou: 

Just throwing scenarios out there, but I wonder if on average 1920s/30s books are more fragile and thus potentially more prone to this than pulps from the 40s/50s. Some rainy day I'll search through ebay and MCS listings and see if I see any more like the Dime Mystery 6.5.

The issue may also lie with the way CGC is shipping slabs back to people... that was true of my GA comic slab... but hard to be sure since there are no images on these verification pages. 

I expect a full TPS report of your analysis by EOD Friday.