• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WATCHMAN PAGE

33 posts in this topic

heartened Thats a nice page

Where you get you stuff?

Hi Ares,

This page could have been yours! It was on ebay in September. Of course, you would have had to outbid me! wink.gif It happens, but rarely on items I REALLY want.

Thanks for the compliments on the page. I have two other pages from the series, from issue 12, also. They're all keepers!

Best,

Ill have to satify myself with lower end pages will I have enought to spend on bigger stuff

Where you get you stuff?

Hi Ares,

This page could have been yours! It was on ebay in September. Of course, you would have had to outbid me! wink.gif It happens, but rarely on items I REALLY want.

Thanks for the compliments on the page. I have two other pages from the series, from issue 12, also. They're all keepers!

Best,

Ill have to satify myself with lower end pages will I have enought to spend on bigger stuff

Trust me, you're not alone! We all started out by buying the nicest items we could afford. Over time, I traded up, or bought nicer examples and sold the previous ones. It takes a while, but it's actually quite a lot of fun, and you learn about the hobby and pricing with each new deal. Eventually, you'll amass a collection you're quite proud of.

What do you have so far?

Where you get you stuff?

Hi Ares,

Best,

Trust me, you're not alone! We all started out by buying the nicest items we could afford. Over time, I traded up, or bought nicer examples and sold the previous ones. It takes a while, but it's actually quite a lot of fun, and you learn about the hobby and pricing with each new deal. Eventually, you'll amass a collection you're quite proud of.

What do you have so far?

If you click on the comicartfans in my sig you will see.

Plus two more pages I havent posted yet

There are 336 pages to Watchmen compared with 46 pages to Killing Joke. The price escalation for Killing Joke pages is based, thus, partly on the extremely low relative supply, in addition to the high demand. I think that the absolute best Watchmen pages will start to match Killing Joke pages eventually (over the next five years), as Watchmen is a more important storyline/event overall and is more likely to retain this importance over time (if anything, it's more well-known now than it was in the mid-80s!).

Surely it has to be more than a matter of supply and demand, or even the significance of the books themselves? Don't aesthetics and the art itself play a factor? Brian Bolland is one of the top artists to have worked in comics and was definitely one of the very top artists in the 80s and has a fanatical following (rightfully so). Dave Gibbons is a good artist, but he's not in Bolland's league, and I dont know if he generates the same kind of devotion that Bolland does (I doubt it). On this basis, I'd have to think that Killing Joke pages will, and should, remain much more valuable than Watchmen pages. Perhaps the most iconic pages from Watchmen might approach the least interesting pages of Killing Joke in value, but I doubt it.

watchmen6p24.jpg

That really is a killer page, you must be thrilled to own it. One thing I tend to notice about single OA pieces is whether or not there is a story on the page itself. Your Watchmen piece is a perfect example of something that's relatively self-contained, as opposed to a page from a random battle, or a page from the middle of a conversation. Someone could look at that on your wall and figure out what's going on and what's going to happen. It tells its own tale. Not all pages do that, but the ones I really want to own usually do. Congrats.

There are 336 pages to Watchmen compared with 46 pages to Killing Joke. The price escalation for Killing Joke pages is based, thus, partly on the extremely low relative supply, in addition to the high demand. I think that the absolute best Watchmen pages will start to match Killing Joke pages eventually (over the next five years), as Watchmen is a more important storyline/event overall and is more likely to retain this importance over time (if anything, it's more well-known now than it was in the mid-80s!).

Surely it has to be more than a matter of supply and demand, or even the significance of the books themselves? Don't aesthetics and the art itself play a factor? Brian Bolland is one of the top artists to have worked in comics and was definitely one of the very top artists in the 80s and has a fanatical following (rightfully so). Dave Gibbons is a good artist, but he's not in Bolland's league, and I dont know if he generates the same kind of devotion that Bolland does (I doubt it). On this basis, I'd have to think that Killing Joke pages will, and should, remain much more valuable than Watchmen pages. Perhaps the most iconic pages from Watchmen might approach the least interesting pages of Killing Joke in value, but I doubt it.

All of the points you are raising (Bolland vs. Gibbons, different aesthetic appeal and fan base) fall into the demand category, and I agree that these factors make Killing Joke a higher demand item. What I was trying to say was that some of the nicer Watchmen examples may rise to that level of demand, not as much due to the following Gibbons has, or the pure aesthetics of the piece, but because of the historic importance of this series that only seems to be increasing over time. Watchmen's popularity is still on the rise, with new readership each decade. I don't think the same can be said of Killing Joke.

Again, personally, there's no comparison. I will always pay much more for a nice Killing Joke page than a nice Watchmen page, but I believe the price gap will narrow over the next 5-10 years.

Agreed! I love the interiors that have great visual storytelling. Miller was great at it, as is Moore with whoever he's working with (Bolland, Gibbons, Lloyd, etc.). Like you, those are the interiors that I cherish the most, and that truly represent the comic art medium.

all the watchmen pages were sold exclusively through london's comic showcase shop, i think that Watchmen pages are not at their top prices, sure there are more than 300 pages around the world , most than Killing Joke, but what are 300 pages for one of the comic who has changed our vision of comics (my p.o.v) .

i 've tried to watch last sales of Watchmen O.A last months here they are :

# 11 p 3 goes for $3250

# 12 p 26 goes for $4324 (with colour proof)

# one of the firsts issue p 23 goes for $1400

# 6 p 25 goes for more than $6300

#4 p 26 goes for $3055 with color proof

#4 p 27 goes for $3321 with c.p

#4 p 28 goes for $3915 with c.p

and #6 p 24 really lovely page heartened congrats, i'm a first day Watchmen's fan

893applaud-thumb.gif

What are the 10 best watchmen pages?

Here are some of my favorites (I'm one short ;-):

Issue #1, p. 5, 6 (Rorschach using his grappling gun), and 17 (Rorschach meets with Viete. You got to love Rorschach he is the anti-Viete, yet they are both uncompromising in their end-goal to do good)

Issue #2, p. 10 & 11 (A really good scene that shows character and foreshadowing)

Issue #12, p. 15 (Viete catches a bullet), 19, 20, 23, & 24 (The culmination of the story itself)