• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grab your ankles for this 35c variant

22 posts in this topic

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

This is to CGC:

You guys graded a copy of this book at 9.2 that I sold in March, 2000. It was on eBay again last summer and did not make the reserve, getting to $3,049. PLEASE add it to the CGC Census.

And this is to everybody else:

Star Wars 1 is the MOST COMMON 35 cent variant out there. $1600 for an ungraded copy is INSANE.

Let me just be clear that I was QUITE happy with the selling price for the 9.2 at the time - it was by far the highest price ever paid for a Star Wars 1 variant, and as I was temporarily unemployed, it paid the mortgage that month.

>>Star Wars 1 is the MOST COMMON 35 cent variant out there. $1600 for an ungraded copy is INSANE.

Ditto, that and Iron Fist 15, Spider-man 171, Nova 13 (or 14?) are the most common ones, with Star Wars being the most obviously over-printed spec issue of the era.

Hey, I never said that some people weren't willing to shell out the cash based on the issue's notoriety, only that as 35-cent variants go, SW #1 is easily the most common.

But then again, it seems to be common for people to blurt out a "well, then sell me ALL your copies" for any perceived slight on that comic's reputation. I own plenty of valuable comics that I don't particularly like, and while I may sell in the future, I'm not giving them away.

My response was to this thread in general, and while you were last in line, I'm not specifically replying to your post, but if you have a high grade copy for sale at guide... grin.gif

As far as 30 OR 35-cent price variants, IF 14 might have more appeal as a key book to comic collectors, but I would bet there are more people (including SW collectors) looking for SW 1 than any other price variant.

Like...whatever was his name was - the SW collector that posted here for a while that was all ape-$hit over it? SW collectors dig this book - they're from the pop-culture/re-capture your youth/turned-30something-yuppie era that prizes it. Any unique or error-items are in demand, which makes this just like the "cloth-cape(?)" sand-dude 12-back SW figure and the Revenge of the Jedi movie poster that all SW collectors "must have"... crazy.gif

Yeah, I used to be a Star Wars fan.... until the Dark Times... until Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones....

I can't even imagine how hot some of this SW stuff would be if Lucas had actually made movies, instead of an Anakin Skywalker: Life and Times biopic.