• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(CLOSED) TAX TIME PAPERBACK THREAD 2024 ...some Adult content.
4 4

257 posts in this topic

Cheers, Jimbo, I really like it.

Here's a similar one (not my copy, I wish it was), the first he did for The Popular Magazine for Street & Smith. He did a good number of covers for that title and also on New Story during the same time period.  His Popular issues are hard to find (besides the fact that most single issues from the early pulp years are tough)

a23af16b70806fdaee3ecda93dab8427.jpg

On 3/21/2024 at 5:04 PM, Darwination said:

Cheers, Jimbo, I really like it.

Here's a similar one (not my copy, I wish it was), the first he did for The Popular Magazine for Street & Smith. He did a good number of covers for that title and also on New Story during the same time period.  His Popular issues are hard to find (besides the fact that most single issues from the early pulp years are tough)

a23af16b70806fdaee3ecda93dab8427.jpg

He did a handful of Pulp covers also, but surprisingly few, considering how prolific he was. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/21/2024 at 7:16 PM, Inaflash said:

Take it

Mark had already claimed this, I marked the menu but not the actual post. My apologies. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/21/2024 at 4:09 PM, NoMan said:

please erase if this "high-jacking" a sales thread:

I used to collect "sleaze paperbacks" but not for the cover but for the story/writing. It was tough going as most are written so poorly, however, there was one writer who was amazing: Orrie Hitt (he had some psydemums - Katy something)

Anyways, curious if anyone has read Hitt or any of these books, if your collecting gets beyond the great cover art?

I've read about a dozen Orrie Hitt novels (and have more in the stacks), they are definitely a cut above most of the sleaze titles. His characters are almost always regular people struggling to get one step ahead of the bills and end up doing questionable things to get there. Like almost all sleaze titles from the higher class publishers (Beacon/Monarch etc.) there is far less graphic groping than the covers suggest (and nothing like modern mainstream books like "Shades of Grey").  In order not to hijack Jim's excellent thread, if you go hang out here:

Maybe I'll post a few hm Plus it's just a fun place to hang (thumbsu

Go ahead, maybe give a recommend on title or two (reading wise).  This is an author I've never heard of - which is weird given the long frickin list at his wiki.  That sleaze life, I guess O.o

I surely doubt Jimbo minds extra eyes on his sales thread (I know there are some good books left).

Edited by Darwination

On 3/22/2024 at 7:52 PM, Darwination said:

Go ahead, maybe give a recommend on title or two (reading wise).  This is an author I've never heard of - which is weird given the long frickin list at his wiki.  That sleaze life, I guess O.o

I surely doubt Jimbo minds extra eyes on his sales thread (I know there are some good books left).

This one is straight up your alley Beau (thumbsu

(Not my copy, it's buried and too many pics on my phone to dig through lol)

About the "Girls" taking to selling Magazines, and a little more :)

I read it about a year ago and recall it actually has a lot of background about the magazine selling business and a good page turner. Hitt wasn't quite at the "Gold Medal" writer level but his best could have been for sure.  I saw a credit for Frank Uppwall as the cover artist on the webs but looks like Dodd (or Nappi)  to me. Almost every Beacon from this time was reprinted from an earlier Universal related mag or digest but I don't know this one without digging into it.

011876.jpg.6e3ff900c5722ab6b67a026d34edb436.jpg

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 3/22/2024 at 6:41 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I read it about a year ago and recall it actually has a lot of background about the magazine selling business and a good page turner. Hitt wasn't quite at the "Gold Medal" writer level but his best could have been for sure.  I saw a credit for Frank Uppwall as the cover artist on the webs but looks like Dodd (or Nappi)  to me. Almost every Beacon from this time was reprinted from an earlier Universal related mag or digest but I don't know this one without digging into it.

She had me at "Hello"

On 3/22/2024 at 9:41 PM, Surfing Alien said:

She’s peddling magazines — and Passion! Love it. 

On 3/20/2024 at 8:42 PM, jimjum12 said:

6J6zJRb.jpg

RUNAWAY WIFE  Savage                                                                 F                                            30

THE SIN SEEKERS Gault                                                             F+                                               30

SMOLDERING WOMEN    ST. JOHN                               VF                                 75 

:takeit:

Edited by BlackOut21