• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PROPOSAL: Independent Eye Appeal rating

Would you like to see Eye Appeal as an independent parameter in a 3rd-party grading scheme?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Eye Appeal as an independent parameter in a 3rd-party grading scheme?

22 posts in this topic

Would POV really trade me even-up clean NM copies in exchange for NM copies, but with obtrusive date stamps on them? If so, PM me ASAP.

Nope! But remember, I like "tasteful" date stamps as opposed to intrusive. But there are three reasons I like date stamps:

1) In the GA type books I collect they just "look right" to me. They go with the book as a sign of the times and I like that.

2) They are historical indicators that reveal about when books were put on the stands.

3) They are not liked by many so I can get them a bit cheaper than without the date stamp. Which is why I wouldn't trade you even-up!

Take POV for instance...he likes date stamps...whereas I detest them...this leads me to believe that this would not be anything worth pursuing seriously....but it does make for good debate...

Rich saw your post was deleted but JC copied this part first so - I agree with you. It DOES make a very interesting debate but "eye appeal" is too subjective to be applied as a standard. For example, writing on cover and POC are both allowed in Good. Some folks may hate writing and not mind the missing piece, while others don;t mind the writing but hate a missing piece. In this sceanrio there is no right or wrong - just personal tastes.

Now the stickiest thing probably is centering. Off-centering, mis-cuts, printer's creases etc. could be considered printing "defects" which, at least in theory, would fall under the high end grade definitions - you know, the ones that say "only the slightest printing defect allowed". But is this really a case of "eye appeal" or simple "close to perfect as can be manufactured"? I can see a book with a slight off-centering - just a bit of white at the spine, still being a knock-out - rich colors, perfect registration, dripping gloss. Yes - an interesting debate indeedy!