• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[Closed] One Cool Historic 1943 Caniff Specialty Terry WWII Piece

2 posts in this topic

Milt Caniff's Male Call, which started in January 1943, was unplanned. The plan formed in 1942 was that Caniff would do a special version of Terry & The Pirates just for GIs on a weekly, not daily, schedule. And that version would star Burma as the GIs Pin-Up girl. What a lot of collectors don't seem to know, is that the plan was actually implemented and in October 1942 an entirely different version of Terry & The Pirates appearing only in military newspapers commenced with Burma as the star! An example of Burma posing and entertaining some soldiers with topless serving girls:

IMG_1579.thumb.jpg.1d2ba22d65acae7c700328a5cef7cfb3.jpg

However, a Florida civilian newspaper publisher got pissed when he realized that Army base newspapers in his area were publishing a "Terry & the Pirates" strip to the GIs that he didn't get. The syndicate caved to pressure, and Caniff had to create a new GI oriented strip that did not use the Terry name or its characters. That strip was Male Call and it started up in January 1943, ending Burma's run after just four months.  Why does this matter?

Because Burma was a hit with the GIs! And the GIs, including their bases, would write Caniff to send them a pin-up. What I'm offering here is a LOT more special than an ordinary "hand-colored print" by Caniff. This is a very very rare example of a hand-colored pin-up with an original hand drawn background and very suggestive dialogue custom made for the "The 43-14 Class at San Angelo School" of "Bombadier-Navigators" trainees. This piece was likely requested in late 1942 and issued by Caniff in January 1943 before or around when Ms. Lace and Male Call debuted. I've seen Ms. Lace and even the Dragon Lady in these type of GI oriented pin-ups later in time. But never Burma! Very rare, super cool, and likely very early for a customized GI pin-up. Caniff's stat figure of Burma is printed and the original-art background, comprising ink, blue wash, and one spot where a paste-up likely was placed is drawn and inked onto the Bristol board. The copyright line is an in-place paste-up. Dimensions, approximately 11" x 14". Might well have been used by the Camp Newspaper or printing office to provide a pin-up for each of the graduating class. Never seen such a printed copy.

PICS:

1712721858647blob(1).jpg.1623eadf6e6d45afdad84fb5e8121671.jpg

IMG_1631.thumb.jpg.8fd3fd94b24c4250e5508b749e9b2128.jpg

IMG_1586.thumb.jpg.701c5f38c06a0166a3e987facf64af22.jpg

IMG_1587.thumb.jpg.3df5819be65ad6048cd43667b14ca5c1.jpg

IMG_1588.thumb.jpg.2633938064e42ad3dc7909c67715e9f7.jpg

Close ups appear darker than the appearance in person.

San Angelo Air Field was in San Angelo, Texas. Its mission was to train bombardiers for B-25 Mitchell, B-26 Marauder medium, B-17 Flying Fortress, and B-24 Liberator heavy bombers, and later B-29 Superfortress very heavy bombers for combat missions during World War II. The art shows some toning (predominantly on reverse), some spot-staining, a bit of white-out, creasing, some wrinkles, possibly one very minor tear at the top, and a spot of adhesive residue (maybe where shading or a paste-up was peeled). Overall in very good condition. Again, the figure of Burma is not original art despite that there is some black ink in a shaded area of her dress. The background is original art.

When will you see another? Like some of my past offerings on this site - maybe never. Take special note of the innuendo in Burma's dialogue!

COMPARABLE:

A very similar piece, albeit post-war for a 1946 soldier reunion and featuring a stat of Miss Lace, sold at Heritage less than a year ago for $2,400. See here: https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/milton-caniff-male-call-miss-lace-specialty-illustration-original-art-c-1946-/a/322326-49068.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

PRICE:

Heritage's appears to be in worse shape. Still, in recognition of Heritage's fees, I'm willing to let this one for $1,600 or best offer. 

TERMS:

First "take" wins. I am open to offers on all items, so feel free to PM me. But first "take" wins. So if you want to make an offer, make it quick and don't be surprised if I wait a bit to see if I get a "take" first. If you really really want an item, just say "take." 

Buyer pays actual shipping cost including insurance for full purchase price. If you have your own collectibles insurance and want me to ship under your shipping label, that's fine. For this auction, I anticipate that all shipping will be by USPS flat rate medium box. You can propose an alternative shipping means, but I get a right of reasonable refusal if I'm uncomfortable with the means. 

I prefer payment by check, m.o., wire, Zell or equivalent; however, I am open to other options.

You can contact me by PM if you have concerns with terms. I am sure we can work out any concerns or questions.
Edited by sfcityduck

Burma's necklace pendant is also original art customized for the airport. I have seen a 1942 and 1944 Burma hand-colored prints with the original simple necklace pendant.