• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do I determine if something is a CGC keeper or one that won't keep the value? I know it is opnion but I wondered what people thought
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I hope this is the correct forum.

I have a bunch of comics that have not had many CGC grades -and they are newer releases - how would I tell if any of these are worth keeping (because the value will continue to go up over the years) or should sell (because it is a fad purchase)?

Here are some examples:

1. CGC 9.8 Mighty Morphin 4 Peach Momoko Virgin (Pink) (I have 2 of these in this grade)  - there are only 16 9.8 (and 20 total graded copies).

2. CGC 9.8 Power Rangers 6 Peach Momoko Virgin (Blue) (I have 3 copies of this grade) There are only 9 graded (1 9.9. Everything else is 9.8).

3. CGC 9.8 Star Wars: Visions - Takashi Okazaki 1 5/24 Marvel Comics ""Virgin"" Edition 1:100 ratio (this is the only graded copy)

4. CGC Spider-Boy 5 5/24 Marvel Comics Besch ""Virgin"" Edition (I have 1) 3 9.8 graded (nothing else)

On 5/1/2024 at 12:09 PM, StewartCA said:

I hope this is the correct forum.

I have a bunch of comics that have not had many CGC grades -and they are newer releases - how would I tell if any of these are worth keeping (because the value will continue to go up over the years) or should sell (because it is a fad purchase)?

Here are some examples:

1. CGC 9.8 Mighty Morphin 4 Peach Momoko Virgin (Pink) (I have 2 of these in this grade)  - there are only 16 9.8 (and 20 total graded copies).

2. CGC 9.8 Power Rangers 6 Peach Momoko Virgin (Blue) (I have 3 copies of this grade) There are only 9 graded (1 9.9. Everything else is 9.8).

3. CGC 9.8 Star Wars: Visions - Takashi Okazaki 1 5/24 Marvel Comics ""Virgin"" Edition 1:100 ratio (this is the only graded copy)

4. CGC Spider-Boy 5 5/24 Marvel Comics Besch ""Virgin"" Edition (I have 1) 3 9.8 graded (nothing else)

With new books it's going to hard to know for sure, so if you're looking to get books graded to hold for long-term returns, I'd go with books that typically do get long-term returns. That would be first appearances of popular characters, or stand-out covers. Since there are so many exclusive editions being produced these days with covers by popular cover artists, it might be harder to identify one cover that people are going to gravitate towards.

One of the reasons that books may not have been graded all that much is because people don't see the value in grading them.