• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walter Simonson was moving...
1 1

29 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2024 at 6:42 AM, delekkerste said:

A few covers and interior pages have been sold from the run. I don't remember if these were all inked by others or if any all-Simonson pieces were also let go. He has the complete #337.

It's been said that he intends to donate it all to his alma mater (Rhode Island School of Design). There is one issue from the run which has a lot of personal meaning to me - I inquired to Weezie about it when she and Walter were at a Society of Illustrators exhibition around 2018-ish and basically she said that she'd love to see Walter get the art out to his fans (she also considered it a fire hazard to have it all in one place!) but that, ultimately, it was his decision alone. 

She dropped some vague hints about how to best go about making an offer (not that he would accept, though) if I were to do so. I learned right around then that a friend was going to make an approach to Walter in-person about a different issue in the run and he offered to piggy-back my interest into this discussion, but, Walter made it very clear in their meeting that he wasn't selling anything and so nothing materialized. Since then the art has gotten so pricey that I'm not sure it would even matter if he had a change of heart about donating vs. selling. :sorry: 

I admire Walt for this. I don't think it's about the money. I just think as long as Walt is alive, those pages are a part of him. I'm guessing he loathes seeing those pages out of his hands now while he's alive, only to see many (not all) rushed to the secondary market, or posted as "Inquire":( When and if they are released, it will be a blood bath at auction. Rightly so. Walt's work and visionary style set him apart, and continues to enchant us present day. For those of you, like me, that wish you could have at least one page from a favorite story, I wish you well should the opportunity arrive. As for the hoarders, the vain goblins with money to burn and 3x-5x resell on your minds, I pray thee that Beta Ray Bill shows up at your door, holding Thor's Mjolnir on loan, to lay you out for the greed that consumed you.

On 5/9/2024 at 12:13 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Someone needs to make a massive private offer for his Thor work. At least let him think about it and maybe eventually he would consider it.

I understand where you're coming from as a collector, but Walt is a different kind of guy. I just don't think he would sell before death unless, God for bid, health issues arrive.

On 5/10/2024 at 9:26 AM, grapeape said:

I understand where you're coming from as a collector, but Walt is a different kind of guy. I just don't think he would sell before death unless, God for bid, health issues arrive.

Totally understand but someone needs to get creative, offer him $X for his works and then maybe a matching or lump sum donation that he can make in his name to a school/charity of choice. Win, win. 

On 5/9/2024 at 6:40 PM, MAR1979 said:

some Rich Boy...keeping locked away for themselves.

I'm this boy & ready to buy.