• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPA Now Reporting CGC Pulp Sales
1 1

8 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2024 at 11:42 AM, GACollectibles said:

Not sure if anyone has already pointed this out, figured I'd post a PSA.

Did CGC ever release their pulp-numbering system?  Without it, I don't have a ready way to look up what "Super-Pulp Stories" #132 is in terms of content or art, since other references aren't listed like that.  Also, though not likely at this point, I've toyed in the past about releasing an issue-by-issue pulp guide or checklist (my first 2001 book sort of was, for major titles at least)... but it would be really confusing if my numbering sequence didn't end up matching CGCs (I would defer to theirs if I knew what it was).  If they've posted it, I've missed it.

On 5/15/2024 at 11:42 AM, GACollectibles said:

Not sure if anyone has already pointed this out, figured I'd post a PSA.

We can ignore this, CGC sent out an email today lol

On 5/15/2024 at 5:16 PM, Bookery said:

Did CGC ever release their pulp-numbering system?  Without it, I don't have a ready way to look up what "Super-Pulp Stories" #132 is in terms of content or art, since other references aren't listed like that.  

They do cross reference the CGC numbering/publishing date in the census

image.png.30a3b32600d24ed8f1a1f21a3ea66103.png

On 5/15/2024 at 5:16 PM, Bookery said:

I've toyed in the past about releasing an issue-by-issue pulp guide or checklist 

Yes!

On 5/15/2024 at 5:51 PM, GACollectibles said:

They do cross reference the CGC numbering/publishing date in the census

image.png.30a3b32600d24ed8f1a1f21a3ea66103.png

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.  However, they are still individual numbers without context.  How are they dealing with slight title changes in a pulp?  For an alternating title like Submarine Stories and Navy Stories, do they number as one title, or separately (I would opt for separately on this one, fwiw).  Is Thrilling Wonder Stories continued from Wonder Stories, or does it begin with a fresh sequence?  How are some of the girly mags numbered, when we're still not sure if we've identified all of the issues?  If one pops up in-between down the road, will it be numbered 12-B, for instance?  I don't overly care how they choose to do it, but they probably should release the list so that we're all on the same page.  I was going to assign a numbering system in my first guide, but decided not to at the last moment because I was undecided how it should be done (and I'm glad I didn't... because how I would do it now would be different for how I had the guide arranged back then (plus we have a lot more information now than then).  At this time, the CGC numbers don't mean anything because we only know what they are after the fact (when a specific issue is slabbed and comes up for sale).  

On 5/16/2024 at 8:37 AM, Bookery said:

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.  However, they are still individual numbers without context.  How are they dealing with slight title changes in a pulp?  For an alternating title like Submarine Stories and Navy Stories, do they number as one title, or separately (I would opt for separately on this one, fwiw).  Is Thrilling Wonder Stories continued from Wonder Stories, or does it begin with a fresh sequence?  How are some of the girly mags numbered, when we're still not sure if we've identified all of the issues?  If one pops up in-between down the road, will it be numbered 12-B, for instance?  I don't overly care how they choose to do it, but they probably should release the list so that we're all on the same page.  I was going to assign a numbering system in my first guide, but decided not to at the last moment because I was undecided how it should be done (and I'm glad I didn't... because how I would do it now would be different for how I had the guide arranged back then (plus we have a lot more information now than then).  At this time, the CGC numbers don't mean anything because we only know what they are after the fact (when a specific issue is slabbed and comes up for sale).  

All good questions.  I had inquired about getting an import of the pulp titles/issue number list months ago in the hopes of adding it to the MySlabbedComics.com site, but never got a reply.