• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thunderbolts #1
1 1

9 posts in this topic

So I have a very good condition first issue. I think it might be high value. Should I get it signed by Bagley or will it hurt the value? 

On 5/19/2024 at 9:46 PM, R20b85 said:

So I have a very good condition first issue. I think it might be high value. Should I get it signed by Bagley or will it hurt the value? 

Is the signing a CGC event? 

Generally, a CGC witnessed signature will help the value.

If your motivation is purely financial, the condition will probably dictate your options. 

On 5/19/2024 at 10:34 PM, KCOComics said:

Is the signing a CGC event? 

Generally, a CGC witnessed signature will help the value.

Yes it's a con in CT in August. Not sure to get it graded first or not. It could bring the value down I'm told.

On 5/20/2024 at 1:13 AM, revat said:

If your motivation is purely financial, the condition will probably dictate your options. 

Yes it's in really good condition, even the left corner. I've guess I've got some research to do.

On 5/20/2024 at 3:30 AM, R20b85 said:

Yes it's a con in CT in August. Not sure to get it graded first or not. It could bring the value down I'm told.

I'm thinking about going with my son. We moved to CT 6 years ago and I've been to dozens of local shows, but haven't hit Terifficon yet. It always seems to conflict with family vacations (and my wallet has a conflict of paying for family vacations).  

In any event - take very clear pictures of the front and back cover and post them in the spare a grade forum. Folks will tell you what they think the grade would be.  It's not perfect, but you'll get a sense if you have a shot at NM. 

Then you should research what that comic in that grade would go for, with and without the signature.  

Don't get it graded first.  Wait until August and have it all done at once with a CGC witness.  Make the process easy and straightforward.  

Good luck! 

On 5/20/2024 at 6:59 AM, KCOComics said:

I'm thinking about going with my son. We moved to CT 6 years ago and I've been to dozens of local shows, but haven't hit Terifficon yet. It always seems to conflict with family vacations (and my wallet has a conflict of paying for family vacations).  

In any event - take very clear pictures of the front and back cover and post them in the spare a grade forum. Folks will tell you what they think the grade would be.  It's not perfect, but you'll get a sense if you have a shot at NM. 

Then you should research what that comic in that grade would go for, with and without the signature.  

Don't get it graded first.  Wait until August and have it all done at once with a CGC witness.  Make the process easy and straightforward.  

Good luck! 

If I get the courage to even touch it I'll post lol It's my fav book as is, don't wanna mess it up!

On 5/20/2024 at 5:53 AM, R20b85 said:

If I get the courage to even touch it I'll post lol It's my fav book as is, don't wanna mess it up!

You should be able to slide it in and out without damaging it. 

One word of caution...beware of the tape!!!!! Unwanted tape pulls have gotten to the best of us!

Sounds like more research will be done, which is great, but it also sounds like you might need some examples to consider and/or point you in the right direction.

General things to consider (some may matter more to you than others) for cost of getting signature:  The cost of getting the signature, the cost of grading, the cost of your invoice, the possible cost of pressing, the cost of return shipping, the cost of return shipping insurance, the cost of tying up your money for a certain amount of time.

General things to consider when considering achievable values:  Venue of sale, which can be impacted by sellers fees, state or federal taxes, credit card or paypal fees, also the time it takes to make a sale.  Also to evaluate are trends and/or potential reasons for future rises or dips on value.

These are some of example situations for a modern not-to-rare minor key comic in my non-professional opinion.

Example 1 -  You have a comic that will grade CGC 9.8 or higher:  In this case, getting a signature of a quality creator like Bagley will likely increase the value of your comic above the cost of getting the signature.  How much depends on the book, but there should be a decent amount of data out there to do comparisons.

If you were to get this book signed without a witness and slabbing, it would likely decrease the value of the book or at least not raise the price more than the cost of the signature.

Example 2 - You have a comic that will grade CGC 9.4 - CGC 9.6:  I haven't done any research, but my guess is this a break-even point.

Example 3 - A nice comic in the 8-9 range. Almost certainly not worth it to get a CGC SS from a financial perspective.  If its the sig is cheap enough, might be worth it to get the signature.

the rest of it probably not worth it.

But the bigger factors might fun, or love of the comic, or love of the creator, or various collection goals.  Every person and situation is different.  If you care enough to treat it like business, you have to look at it like a business.