• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manga OA news

6 posts in this topic

Is this correct?

Publishers can’t keep track of the location or condition of these works either, since original drawings are normally returned to the artists after their commercial release.

On 5/25/2024 at 2:11 PM, vodou said:

Is this correct?

Publishers can’t keep track of the location or condition of these works either, since original drawings are normally returned to the artists after their commercial release.

News to me. I've always been told that the reason you don't see a lot of manga artwork is that the publishers kept it. That could be true and it could have been destroyed by them. :(

I have a couple of original manga pages. I believe they were originally prizes given out in a contest in Japan. They were autographed as well. I reached out to the creator shortly after winning them in an auction to get some info about them. I should have asked whether he gets his art returned to him normally or if the publisher kept it. Anyhow, I'm glad there's initiative now to preserve this art that used to be regarded as disposable. It's taken Japan longer than the U.S. and Europe, but at least they're getting there.