• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carnival of Souls (1962)
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

since this is the Movie Forum I thought I would share the exciting news: after years of searching I found and purchased an original 1962 American one sheet for the film Carnival of Souls! $1,500.00 bucks! Not bad. Very Fine condition.

Long ago I stopped collecting movie memorabilia for ALL the movies I liked and decided to concentrate on just one movie: Carnival of Souls. (an excellent low-budget non-Hollywood 1962 horror film made by industrial film maker Herk Harvey in Lawerence, Kansas). Very limited 1962 regional release. Very limited 1989 regional theatrical re-release. Original stuff for either release date hard to find.

What I have:

Original 1962 Danish One Sheet

Original 1962 Mexican Lobby Cards (set of 7)

1 of 7 Original 1962 American Lobby Cards

(Now) Original 1962 American One Sheet

Original American 1989 theatrical re-release one sheet

Original Video late 1980s release promo poster.

Some kind of 1962 original German promo poster

Original 1962 theatrical press-book

Please: Let's all help NoMan complete his collection:

If anyone can help me find an original 1962 Mexican one sheet, it would be much appreciated!

Edited by NoMan

On 5/26/2024 at 2:04 PM, D84 said:

In college, I studied acting from Sidney Berger who played John Lindon.

That's far-out! Did he ever talk about that film? Anything? 

On 5/26/2024 at 4:14 PM, NoMan said:

That's far-out! Did he ever talk about that film? Anything? 

Yes. He went onto theater directing, and became one of the foremost Shakespearean experts in the world, but he'd go to conventions and enjoyed talking to the fans. He'd joke about how you can't tell the Shakespeare people about being in a horror movie.

I don't remember any specific stories about filming but it was almost 30 years ago and I think passed away 5+ years ago. Though he did say it was a blast to play such a creep.

He was the kind of teacher everyone wanted to impress because he knew his stuff and inspired everyone around him to do their best.

Congrats! What’s special about the film? I haven’t seen it.

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 11:37 AM, piper said:

Congrats! What’s special about the film? I haven’t seen it.

los budget. well done. 16mm. b&w. rough around the edges. no CGI. eerie organ soundtrack. one person's vision as opposed to a committee of visions. nifty twilight zone o'henry ending. 

Edited by NoMan

On 5/26/2024 at 2:20 PM, NoMan said:

Please: Let's all help NoMan complete his collection:

If anyone can help me find an original 1962 Mexican one sheet, it would be much appreciated!

Congrats on the find, NoMan. Very cool collection.

Will keep eyes open (in the unlikely event I run across it).

Would it look something like this (I found on the webz) or is a "one sheet" something different?

image.thumb.jpeg.b6bd0f8261d0ac6211650fed583dca72.jpeg

When I was about six, my Dad took me to see this in the theatre.  The movies on the Army post changed every day, and while there were usually double features, they'd only list the main movie.  It scared the jeebes out of me, and we left mid-film.  I'll have to watch it again. I can probably handle it better now.

Nice hobby.

On 5/29/2024 at 9:06 AM, grebal said:

Congrats on the find, NoMan. Very cool collection.

Will keep eyes open (in the unlikely event I run across it).

Would it look something like this (I found on the webz) or is a "one sheet" something different?

image.thumb.jpeg.b6bd0f8261d0ac6211650fed583dca72.jpeg

Hey Pal! Thanks for being on the lookout. A "one sheet" is the advertising for the movie you would see hanging in the movie theater lobby, outside the heater, etc.

While the above is a copy of the Mexican one sheet, it's been reduced for a Mexican dvd.

On 5/29/2024 at 3:53 PM, NoMan said:

A "one sheet" is the advertising for the movie you would see hanging in the movie theater lobby

Thought so, and now I'll know what it looks like (for the one in ten-thousand chance I happen upon one in my travels).