• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - Hulk 181
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2024 at 9:19 AM, Vince G said:

And I'm sure CGC is banking on that fact.  Not sure about you, but I'm paying very close attention to the label if I'm buying a book these days.  The notes won't tell the full story.  Any serial number starting with 42, 43, or 44 may be indicative of a book that's clearly overgraded.  Buyer beware.

I'm super interested in this response of yours......Could you please tell me the significance of serial numbers starting with 42..43....and 44  ????    I'm not following this but it sounds super important and I bet your correct.........Is it serial numbers on the slabbed copies and is it related to when a book was slabbed ?    Like what year a book got slabbed......I wonder because if your buying someone's slabbed books and your buying books graded over the last couple of years then I would think the chance of you buying a over graded book would increase dramatically.  I looked at my slabbed books and they all start with  ( I guess it's the serial number )  20..........I remember getting them back and I was shocked by how off I was ( For the worse )  when the grades came in......Now I see these books come back and I can't believe how critical the grading on my slabbed books were as compared to the grades I see now...........Ya that must be it........and your so right....Buyer totally beware if at some point in the distant future your buying slabbed books from this current time.

P.S.    So serial number   42..43 and 44    what years do they represent ?

On 6/6/2024 at 12:08 PM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I'm super interested in this response of yours......Could you please tell me the significance of serial numbers starting with 42..43....and 44  ????    I'm not following this but it sounds super important and I bet your correct.........Is it serial numbers on the slabbed copies and is it related to when a book was slabbed ?    Like what year a book got slabbed......I wonder because if your buying someone's slabbed books and your buying books graded over the last couple of years then I would think the chance of you buying a over graded book would increase dramatically.  I looked at my slabbed books and they all start with  ( I guess it's the serial number )  20..........I remember getting them back and I was shocked by how off I was ( For the worse )  when the grades came in......Now I see these books come back and I can't believe how critical the grading on my slabbed books were as compared to the grades I see now...........Ya that must be it........and your so right....Buyer totally beware if at some point in the distant future your buying slabbed books from this current time.

P.S.    So serial number   42..43 and 44    what years do they represent ?

It's just a guess based on when I started noticing the leniency in grading.  I cannot say for sure when it started but is my best guess based on PGM threads, the past few grading contests here on the boards, and one on one discussions with other collectors.  Personally, I'm closely eyeballing books that have serial numbers beginning with those numbers.  Take this comment with a grain of salt, though.

With respect to this specific book, it was graded two weeks ago.  I have a second 181 that was graded back in 2019, which also graded out at 8.5.  If you put the two books side by side, the one graded in 2019 is clearly superior in every way, and is more reflective of an 8.5 than the book posted here.

On 6/5/2024 at 3:07 PM, Vince G said:

Welp, I'm no expert here on how exactly this happened, but my presser changed a bunch of parts in the machine and ran three batches through.  Unfortunately, this book, my Hulk 180, and my Tomb of Dracula 1 were in one of those batches.

This is a classic example of too much and not enough happening simultaneously.

On 6/6/2024 at 11:21 AM, Vince G said:

It's just a guess based on when I started noticing the leniency in grading.  I cannot say for sure when it started but is my best guess based on PGM threads, the past few grading contests here on the boards, and one on one discussions with other collectors.  Personally, I'm closely eyeballing books that have serial numbers beginning with those numbers.  Take this comment with a grain of salt, though.

With respect to this specific book, it was graded two weeks ago.  I have a second 181 that was graded back in 2019, which also graded out at 8.5.  If you put the two books side by side, the one graded in 2019 is clearly superior in every way, and is more reflective of an 8.5 than the book posted here.

Thanks for that info...........

On 6/9/2024 at 11:46 AM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

Thanks for that info...........

Sent my last set of books to further test the theory. Will post once I have results

I've got like a 100 books to slab........I've been sitting on them for years .......to busy to submit but that may change after hearing back from you.........the only time I ever submitted I drove to CGC with the books in my back seat and had an in person meeting...........The whole mailing in books seems a little daunting to me............I'm really concerned I'll screw it up.........

On 6/11/2024 at 1:12 PM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I've got like a 100 books to slab........I've been sitting on them for years .......to busy to submit but that may change after hearing back from you.........the only time I ever submitted I drove to CGC with the books in my back seat and had an in person meeting...........The whole mailing in books seems a little daunting to me............I'm really concerned I'll screw it up.........

The process is defined on the website (https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/how-to-submit/) and is fairly simple.  Step 4 - packaging your shipment sounds like what you are looking for.

On 6/11/2024 at 6:12 PM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

You could mail them, then follow the mail truck in your car......

On 6/11/2024 at 1:09 PM, Vince G said:

The process is defined on the website (https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/how-to-submit/) and is fairly simple.  Step 4 - packaging your shipment sounds like what you are looking for.

Thanks for that..............it's all about the shipping........that's my concern.........