• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Determine coverless pricing
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Found an old thread who spoke about coverless value...

What do you think of an average price of 1/3 of the guide value for a 2.0 for coverless books? What would you paid for them? 

Depends on the book, but that sounds about right for the most part (For example my most recent coverless purchase was a FF#52 for $120, and the GPA on 2.0 is $349), also bought a More Fun Comics #72 (a semi-key; Doctor Fate's new helmet issue) for only $80 and the FMV for that in 2.0 would be around $600 now (though in this case it is a book where the cover is an important part of the book being a key, so in these cases the price would be much lower)

I would suggest also not looking at any OLD price data for coverless books (before 2019 is a good start), as the market for them was much worse than they are now and you could pick up very big key books for even cheaper - outlook on coverless keys has changed so much in the recent years.

On 6/9/2024 at 3:11 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Depends on the book, but that sounds about right for the most part (For example my most recent coverless purchase was a FF#52 for $120, and the GPA on 2.0 is $349), also bought a More Fun Comics #72 (a semi-key; Doctor Fate's new helmet issue) for only $80 and the FMV for that in 2.0 would be around $600 now (though in this case it is a book where the cover is an important part of the book being a key, so in these cases the price would be much lower)

I would suggest also not looking at any OLD price data for coverless books (before 2019 is a good start), as the market for them was much worse than they are now and you could pick up very big key books for even cheaper - outlook on coverless keys has changed so much in the recent years.

Mhhh... this last part of the message make me envious to go on a big book that I seen on ebay one day ago... I think this book is a sleeper anyway so it could be the time to make a good deal!

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 11:07 AM, BA773 said:

Mhhh... this last part of the message make me envious to go on a big book that I seen on ebay one day ago... I think this book is a sleeper anyway so it could be the time to make a good deal!

giphy-2.gif.85bb06eaa8ee141bfb739d4779d90c38.gif

edit: There is also the Coverless Facebook group you can use to find em.

Edited by Sauce Dog

A sad thing I noticed is that it seems almost every GA books are truely overpriced trough ebay... people are often asking the price of a 0.5 or even more... I probably still have to learn and analyze the sales before put the target on a big book 

I put this in your other thread but will leave it here as well...

I generally think paying an aggressive price for a coverless book is "unwise", as you will find a very small pool of buyers when it comes time to sell. I'd only buy a coverless if there were literally no other way I could own a book (and honestly, maybe not even then).

For the same price, *personally* I'd much rather have a copy with a decent cover that's missing a page or something.

I own 1 coverless book, Sad Sack #1 from 1949, paid $25.00 for it about 15-20 years ago, needed it to complete my run of Sad Sack Comics 10 cent covers, issues 1-124 (ironic since it does not have a cover).

Looking at eBay sold auctions I have seen coverless books sell for more than a low grade book (PR 0.5 - FR/GD 1.5) with a cover, what's up with that?

On 6/13/2024 at 10:41 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I own 1 coverless book, Sad Sack #1 from 1949, paid $25.00 for it about 15-20 years ago, needed it to complete my run of Sad Sack Comics 10 cent covers, issues 1-124 (ironic since it does not have a cover).

Looking at eBay sold auctions I have seen coverless books sell for more than a low grade book (PR 0.5 - FR/GD 1.5) with a cover, what's up with that?

I would say that a coverless book in many cases is still quite readable (and still therefore can be enjoyed as originally intended), whereas some really poor issues can't be read, because they're missing stuff or falling apart or brittle, etc.  So for the people buying to read, a coverless makes more sense.

Coverless comics can be good filler copies for run collectors like myself. I picked up a small lot of reasonably priced coverless PCH here on the Boards a ways back. When I get a complete copy of any of them, I'm not sweating selling the coverless one for the same price I initially paid. At the same time, I can't think of a single Bronze Age book I'd be satisfied with a coverless copy of, even temporarily.

On 6/13/2024 at 7:41 PM, marvelmaniac said:

hm