• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Card Grading
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello I have a number of older cards in poor condition   Mantle Bowman Rookie with corners clipped.  1934 Lou Gherig with a small hole punch  T206 Eddie Plank fair condition.  1949 Jackie Robinson with surface scrape.   Are these cards worth getting graded.   What is a good guideline to determine if a card should be graded.   Thank you, Jeff

Hello BulletJeff, in all honesty there really isn't an answer to this question besides what you (as the owner of these cards) thinks.  In other words, as the owner of these cards, are you looking to preserve them from further damage? Well then encapsulating them in a holder would take care of this for you.  Or are you looking to have them authenticated as being original cards? Likewise, having them reviewed by a grader and encapsulating the cards would do this for you. Or are you looking to possibly sell them at some point? Then having them graded would provide you the ability to present the cards to potential buyers as authentic cards along with the grader's opinion of the card's grade which would then provide you some sort of idea pertaining to the card's monetary value. Or are you an OCD type collector (such as myself) that likes having sets that all match and these cards (regardless if they are just fillers) are part of a graded CGC set you are building? Well, then to suffice your OCD insanity send those cards in for grading. The list goes on from there.  So its pretty much up to you to establish what is your guideline for cards you would send in for grading.  

Hope that helps in some way.

Happy Collecting!

I am an aging senior looking to liquidate my entire collection.  Am wondering if grading these cards would significantly appreciate their value, or would I just be wasting money.  

On 6/18/2024 at 7:21 PM, bulletjeff said:

I am an aging senior looking to liquidate my entire collection.  Am wondering if grading these cards would significantly appreciate their value, or would I just be wasting money.  

I would. Grading would give the buyer peace of mind concerning condition and if there were or weren't alterations done to the cards.