• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estimating Values for Insurance Purposes
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I wanted to see how you would go about valuing slabbed comics that are unusual or rare for insurance purposes - where GPA isn't particularly useful due to lack of sales data etc, and there isn't much in the way of auction data via CLink or Heritage.  I'm thinking of low census higher grade GA books, Gaines File copies and the like.

Appreciate any and all thoughts,

Panda2

There is no straightforward, one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It's a case-by-case basis situation. Best thing I can suggest is that if your insurer is asking for an appraisal, that it be someone that is accredited.

You're welcome to try to come up with your own back-up, but on stuff like this, and as a fellow collector who does this sort of thing mainly to help those who need assistance with having their collections properly appraised and covered, this is the exact type of property which requires a concise/accurate appraisal so as not to be contested.

I just remarked on this issue on FB based on some of the "record" prices being established at HA, and the issues which may arise when you are trying to use a price reset as a comp with no repeatable sale in sight, now, or in some instances, likely ever to be seen again.

Someone was putting down the OS, not realizing NO data/price guide, printed or online is going to help your situation. The factors of niche market, infrequent sales, and wild fluctuations in value make it challenging to properly pin down a value - it becomes more an excercise of anticipating how an adjuster is going to handle the valuation. I can assure you no adjuster is going to pay out a claim on an outlier sale or comp. If you're still in a bind and can't find anyone local to help, feel free to reach me through ComicVerify.

Edited by comicwiz

On 6/23/2024 at 8:47 AM, comicwiz said:

There is no straightforward, one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It's a case-by-case basis situation. Best thing I can suggest is that if your insurer is asking for an appraisal, that it be someone that is accredited.

You're welcome to try to come up with your own back-up, but on stuff like this, and as a fellow collector who does this sort of thing mainly to help those who need assistance with having their collections properly appraised and covered, this is the exact type of property which requires a concise/accurate appraisal so as not to be contested.

I just remarked on this issue on FB based on some of the "record" prices being established at HA, and the issues which may arise when you are trying to use a price reset as a comp with no repeatable sale in sight, now, or in some instances, likely ever to be seen again.

Someone was putting down the OS, not realizing NO data/price guide, printed or online is going to help your situation. The factors of niche market, infrequent sales, and wild fluctuations in value make it challenging to properly pin down a value - it becomes more an excercise of anticipating how an adjuster is going to handle the valuation. I can assure you no adjuster is going to pay out a claim on an outlier sale or comp. If you're still in a bind and can't find anyone local to help, feel free to reach me through ComicVerify.

Thanks - this is super helpful - wasn't sure where to start.  Much appreciated!