• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scammers be scamming. Be careful. AF15
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Not sure what to do with this information other than I called CGC and emailed the registry. A fake account claimed a book I had registered. An AF 15 6.5 CR/OW. I noticed that a user: PERSH123 asked to register the book. I was away and didn’t notice until a week or two ago that my cert # was missing. I re-registered the book (because I still have it), and it said a new user now has the book. So I looked up the guy PERSH123 but he has no books registered so he transferred it to someone else (account was created on the same day as the transfer) and I can only assume this is for nefarious reasons. I don’t go on the boards all to often but I know the community has some pretty solid watchdogs who will figure out whatever this type of scam is and why someone wants my serial number and wants to register a book they don’t own in a fake name only to immediately transfer it to another user. 

I tried to search the member list for "persh123" and no results were returned  (shrug)

Have you poked around the Competitive Sets that include AF15's to see if you can find your cert# ? Then you can see who has claimed it now.

-bc

EDIT: The reason I'm recommending to focus is on only Competitive Sets is that why else would someone do this other than points?

Edited by bc

Don't think a scammer needs that much legitimacy to pull one over on someone.

Steal a pic of the book, promote it on social media for sale, scam away until busted.

If they are going to go thru the trouble of claiming the Cert# for a Registry Set as part of the scam, why not just use the listing for the pic they stole (a book like AF15 is likely to be in somebodies Registry Set especially for a blue label 6.5)? It would take a few minutes to find a registry set for that book, look up that number in the Cert lookup page (which may include pictures of the book) and make a scam listing somewhere.

-bc