• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AWESOME question: Any vintage pulp covers with heroes that look like Indiana Jones?
3 3

44 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2024 at 9:31 PM, AJD said:

Still not a pulp, but a little closer...

s-l300.jpg

Chuck Heston on the left, as 'Harry Steele' in 1954

Steele-y-Jones.jpg

Spielberg is a big fan of old movies, but I'm not sure he was especially familiar with pulps.  However, many of the old movies (especially serials) were inspired by pulps, so there could be connections in an indirect sort of way.  But I believe he himself has admitted that at least the "look" of Indiana Jones was pretty much directly lifted from the Secret of the Incas film above.

On 7/15/2024 at 10:18 AM, tth2 said:

Not from a pulp, but Pat Ryan's appearance in a sequence from Terry & the Pirates in January 1939 has more than a passing resemblance.

Milton Caniff Terry and the Pirates Daily Comic Strip Original Art dated 1-24-39 (Chicago Tribune-N.Y. News Syndic...

Milton Caniff Terry and the Pirates Daily Comic Strip Original Art dated 1-26-39 (News Syndicate, 1939). ...

Dang. ^^

On 7/15/2024 at 11:24 AM, Bookery said:

Spielberg is a big fan of old movies, but I'm not sure he was especially familiar with pulps.  However, many of the old movies (especially serials) were inspired by pulps, so there could be connections in an indirect sort of way.  But I believe he himself has admitted that at least the "look" of Indiana Jones was pretty much directly lifted from the Secret of the Incas film above.

I was curious about this flick, so I watched it last night.  Fairly middling tbh, but a great setting and Nicole Maurey is absolutely stunning as the female lead (a damsel in distress in need of help, of course, from Heston's "Harry Steele").  The look is totally Indy for the character and even the setting of Incan temples with all their secrets and vaguely dangerous natives.  The main problem with the flick is that Harry Steele is almost entirely unlikable.  I think he's supposed to come off as a scoundrel with a heart of gold, but I'm not sure it works.  Some of the scoundrel elements might have translated to Indy, too, but he's far more likeable.  The real hero of Secret of the Incas actually ends up being an archeologist, who knew.  Some crazy music from Yma Sumac:

Edited by Darwination

On 7/18/2024 at 4:03 PM, Darwination said:

I was curious about this flick, so I watched it last night.  Fairly middling tbh, but a great setting and Nicole Maurey is absolutely stunning as the female lead (a damsel in distress in need of help, of course, from Heston's "Harry Steele").  The look is totally Indy for the character and even the setting of Incan temples with all their secrets and vaguely dangerous natives.  The main problem with the flick is that Harry Steele is almost entirely unlikable.  I think he's supposed to come off as a scoundrel with a heart of gold, but I'm not sure it works.  Some of the scoundrel elements might have translated to Indy, too, but he's a solid hero.  The main hero of the movie actually ends up being an archeologist, who knew.  Some crazy music from Yma Sumac:

I just watched this in the past year.  Yma Sumac's style was so weird I had to look her up... she sold 40 million records!  You are right about Heston.  The screenplay didn't make a move to redeem him until the last 5 minutes... and it didn't really work.  But the film looked great, anyway (shot on location) ... and both the outfit and the temple scene were certainly lifted in later films.