• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine tear - grade reduction amount?
2 2

4 posts in this topic

I have a for sure 9.8 Web of Spider-man #118, but upon closer inspection I notice about a 1/2 inch split along the spine(middle of both staples) , I can see daylight if I have the cover at 90 degrees.

What would I be looking at as a possible grade ? I'm trying to see if its worth grading because of this or now.

Thanks.

Of course pics are needed for an attempt to accurately grade a book but if all else were perfect save that 1/2" spine split, I'd put it in the FN/VF range. Not worth grading IMO.

Books are graded in their entirety, however, with a 1/2" spine split as stated above you probably will not even be in the 9's, as already stated you should probably post sharp/clear pics in the https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

As far as value and having the book graded, these are sales of CGC graded books from eBay from the last 3 month's.

NM+ 9.6 - $107.00, $156.00

NM 9.4 - $76.00, $107.00

VF+ 8.5 - $32.00, $48.00

VF- 7.5 - $29.00, $51.00

As far as bindery tears and spine splits by themselves...

NM+ 9.6 to NM/MT 9.8 -  No bindery tears are allowed,

NM 9.4 - Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, 

There is no more mention of Bindery Tears/Spine Splits again until...

FN 6.0 - There can also be a 1/4" spine split

VG/FN 5.0 -  A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present.

VG 4.0 - Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split.

GD/VG 3.0 - May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced.

Edited by marvelmaniac