• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paperback Collection: What is your favorite publisher? Books from the 40's to the 70's

11 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2024 at 9:20 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Great pics need my glasses to see them though!!

I have bigger scans of all of them if you have any you want to see, my Ace D/S/G collection is currently at 491 covers with all the doubles.  I think it's 329 books at the moment, with a few more on the way.

On 6/30/2024 at 6:59 AM, jimjum12 said:

It's hard for me to narrow down to a favorite, but if I had to, probably Avon would be my #1. Midwood and Ballantine rarely disappoint. The Avons that I'm picturing are mostly my keepers, but a couple were sacrificed to fund other PBs. Lowell has me appreciating Pyramid now, but there are just so many, and my interests are widespread. For example, I like Westerns, and yet I also want a mint copy of "The Life Of The Octopus". I may be too new to have an opinion, I may need to be quiet and let the adults talk. I told that to someone on MSN once, it got yanked as a violation of community standards lol They also are reticent to allow the term "butthurt". GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

PB15.jpg

PB27.jpg

PB49.jpg

PB42.jpg

PB54.jpg

PB99.jpg

PB213.png

PB395.jpg

PB403.jpg

PB439.jpg

PB441.jpg

Avons are awesome!!

Ace are also one of my favorites. The Ace Doubles are what got me into collecting paperbacks, so they are a sentimental favorite.

An almost impossible question to answer! When I first started I really liked the Avons and Pop Librarys with the really swank over-the-top Pulp influenced illustrations and bright colors. I think these two publishers probably continue to draw in people new to the hobby. At the beginning, and pretty much to this day I collected Paperbacks mostly 'by Author' and somewhat less by cover than many. So many great publishers to choose from! I couldn't give an answer nowadays.