• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At what point is a deal a deal?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2024 at 10:53 AM, newshane said:

I explained that I was weary of using PayPal because they have started freezing my access to funds for some reason. They are putting 30-60 day holds before I can withdraw the money. That's why, as a seller, I'm kind of raw on PayPal. 

I also explained that I would contact PayPal to see if they could remove the limitations on my account (apparently I don't use PayPal enough). 

It's at that point that he suddenly backed out. 

Here is his response: 

my apologies I (very stupidly) just looked into the payment methods I could use for this and I unfortunately won't be able to cover the $400 at this time (or very quickly) so I think it'd probably be best to rescind my offer given your alternatives.

I mistakenly assumed I would be able to cover my offer but after checking my available payment methods I will not be able to add that balance.

On 7/4/2024 at 11:35 AM, newshane said:

Thanks for your input. 

I'm just frustrated with PayPal. I have done tens of thousands in business with them over the years, but they suddenly want to hold my money hostage because I only do a few deals a year? I used to accept PayPal, no problem. I'd even eat a fee here and there. But to hold my money hostage? 

You're right. I should have just left PayPal off the listing. 

Still think it's super weak of the other guy to back out. All I had to do was give PayPal customer service a call, which I told him I would do. 

Paypal has been a pain in the butt lately.  I've had the same exact experience and it's just lame.  In the last 10 years, I've had zero claims and have done many tens of thousands of dollars in business through them.  And now, I'm suddenly a risk and they want to hold funds for a ridiculous amount of time.  Lots of online entities are really doing their level best to ruin their business models.  eBay is constantly finding new lows as well.

Here on the boards, I appreciate the pool of buyers that I've sold a lot of books to.  Many I've met in person so there's no sense of distrust.  But Paypal's new rules are making it harder and harder to sell books.  I get that the world keeps getting more and more predatory, but there's got to be a better way.  2c

I generally agree with - and appreciate - the OP on his "understanding" and kid glove treatment of this buyer.  We should all be accepting of what (hopefully) is just a mistake on the buyer's part.  This is not one of those situations where a seller actually lost something or where a buyer got screwed somehow.  I try to pay close attention to what I can afford - and when - and have found sellers on the Boards very reasonable on extending time payment terms when needed on larger purchases.