• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Discoloration effect on grade
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I’m noticing discoloration over time and wondering if it was there when I first got these. I’m noticing them a lot more and wondering if…

1. This affects grade and how much.
  2. is there a fix for it
  3. if I encase will this keep from getting worse.
  4. is it worth restoring?

IMG_5698.jpeg

IMG_5699.jpeg

Quick looks at the pics you provided show the IH book appears to be in the VG+ 4.5 to FN- 5.5 range, the ASM book appears to be slightly better than that maybe a FN 6.0 to FN+ 6.5.

The stains on the IH appear to be just that, stains, of what nature? If it is just staining it may be able to be cleaned, did the stain bleed through to the inside cover or interior pages?

"CGC also does not consider dry cleaning to be restoration, which we automatically include in our pressing service when necessary. Dry cleaning's main purpose is to remove soiling or unwanted substance or writing from a cover, particularly in the white areas."

The stains I see on the ASM (mostly visible in the corner price box appear to be foxing, foxing is biological in nature or due to metal contaminants in the paper from the manufacturing process on older paper (pre-1980's) and cannot be removed. Foxing is not dangerous like black mold, it will not spread to other books. The best way to prevent foxing or prevent it from getting worse is to be sure they are stored properly, humidity should be between 40-60% and away from all sources of moisture.

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/comics.html

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/outreach/tops/foxing/index.html

As far as Soiling/Staining/Foxing/Discoloration only, from the grading standards (Overstreet/Heritage), as you can see, only foxing (slight, very minor, minor, these are terms that create many a gray area in grading) are allowed in any grade from FN/VF 7.0 and up to and including NM 9.4. Looking at the grades from FN 6.0 and under, again terms such as "minor, minor to moderate and some" are used (again, left to individual perception)

NM- 9.2 to NM 9.4 - Slight foxing.

VF/NM 9.0 - Very minor foxing.

FN/VF 7.0 to VF 8.0 - Minor foxing. 

FN 6.0 -  minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing.

VG/FN 5.0 -  minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing.

VG 4.0 - Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. 

GD/VG 3.0 - Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. 

GD 2.0 - Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present. 

In conclusion, if you want an approx. overall grade on your books (books are graded in their entirety, not by one lone defect) I would suggest you open a thread in the https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/ section with clear pics of the front/back covers, spine/staples, inside front/back covers and splash pages and the centerfold.