• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron Man 512 venomized variant 1/8” cover tear

3 posts in this topic

Hello all

not posted on here for a long time

i have a question regarding a 1/8” tear on the front cover, rest of the book is 9.8 worthy so I’m asking what’s the max I could expect grade wise with this small tear shown in the pics 

thank you

IMG_9771.jpeg

IMG_9772.jpeg

The tear is very noticeable and breaks color (your blown up pic probably makes it look worse than it is).

Since books are graded in there entirety not by one lone defect and I cannot speak for CGC, IMO...if this book is in the NM+ 9.6 to NM/MT 9.8 range without the tear, with the tear the grade will drop to VF/NM 9.0 to NM- 9.2.

NM+ 9.6 - Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. No bindery tears are allowed, Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible, but no creases, bends, or color break. 

NM 9.4 - A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break, Slight interior tears are allowed.

NM- 9.2 - A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Slight interior tears are allowed.

VF/NM 9.0 - An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken, Very minor interior tears may be present.

VF 8.0 - An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken,  Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

FN/VF 7.0 -  Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases, foxing as well as a possible moderate color break

On 7/19/2024 at 5:09 PM, marvelmaniac said:

The tear is very noticeable and breaks color (your blown up pic probably makes it look worse than it is).

Since books are graded in there entirety not by one lone defect and I cannot speak for CGC, IMO...if this book is in the NM+ 9.6 to NM/MT 9.8 range without the tear, with the tear the grade will drop to VF/NM 9.0 to NM- 9.2.

NM+ 9.6 - Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. No bindery tears are allowed, Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible, but no creases, bends, or color break. 

NM 9.4 - A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break, Slight interior tears are allowed.

NM- 9.2 - A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Slight interior tears are allowed.

VF/NM 9.0 - An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken, Very minor interior tears may be present.

VF 8.0 - An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken,  Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

FN/VF 7.0 -  Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases, foxing as well as a possible moderate color break

Thank you, yes when it’s bagged and boarded again it’s barely noticeable 

IMG_9771.jpeg