• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matt Reeves expanding The Batman Universe

2 posts in this topic

Welcome to the “Batman Epic Crime Saga.” That’s what director Matt Reeves and his producing partner Dylan Clark internally dubbed their DC expansion plans.

The duo hopes to launch a universe of movies and shows that branch off from their 2022 Robert Pattinson-fronted Dark Knight film, and it begins with Colin Farrell’s return as Oz Cobb on the new series The Penguin (debuting in September on HBO and Max).

“It’s a Scarface story,” lead writer and showrunner Lauren LeFranc tells Entertainment Weekly. “It’s a rise-to-power story of Oz before he really makes it to the top.”

Reeves and Clark originally set out to chart a spinoff series focusing on the Gotham City Police Department with Boardwalk Empire creator Terence Winter on writing duty. They also experimented with an Arkham Asylum concept. "As we were writing the movie [The Batman], I was like, 'Hey, you know what? I think there are some cool shows that we could do," Reeves recalls. "It was actually why I wanted to make our deal at Warner Bros."

“The Batman” director Matt Reeves recently told Entertainment Weekly that series centered on the Gotham police department and Arkham Asylum were dropped after HBO executives suggested to focus more on “marquee characters” from the Batman universe. Reeves is expanding the universe he launched in “The Batman” into television starting with this fall’s “The Penguin,” in which Colin Farrell reprises his role as the eponymous Gotham City gangster.

“As we were writing the movie [‘The Batman’], I was like, ‘Hey, you know what? I think there are some cool shows that we could do,” Reeves said about wanting to expand his Dark Knight universe. “It was actually why I wanted to make our deal at Warner Bros.”

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Reeves said these two ideas for spinoff series were tabled once executives at HBO offered their guidance for where “The Batman” universe should go in its move to television.

“They were like, ‘We like what you’re doing, and we want to lean harder into the marquee characters,'” Reeves said, adding that elements from the axed Gotham PD show ended up finding their way into “The Penguin.”