• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic Con Original Art Collecting Panel
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Did anyone go to the SDCC original art collecting panel on Saturday?  I found out about it too late to go, but it sounded good.  Bill Cox, Joseph Melchoir, and Aaron White from Heritage were some of the people on the panel.

On 7/30/2024 at 1:00 AM, Kevn said:

I haven't attended SDCC in a while and back in the day I would have loved to have seen some OA panels. I think having auction house reps, comic shop owners, and people who are also artist reps or dealers is not so useful for potential new collectors. It would be kind of like having a couple of auto manufacturer's reps and a couple of used car salesman talk to people wondering if buy their first car is a good idea or if they should replace their old car. Why not do a panel where Bill Cox is the moderator, and there are 4-5 collectors with, as Brian says, each with a different general focus. It's fine of some of those collectors do a lot of buying and selling as they manage their collection, but people with a vested interest in profiting from the hobby are going to have fundamentally different messages than what budding collectors need. And I'm a huge believer in the free market, and love that there are so many OA dealers, and auction houses, and artists' reps. Hell, let them have their own panel where they can tell funny stories about all the wacky collectors they've had to deal with!

I remember the questions I had as I dipped my toes into this world back in 1980. Then the stakes were lower - no one had much to gain by ripping me off or dramatically misleading me when I was buying pages for $20-50 each. But still, I had so many questions, and people running auction sites wouldn't have been the ones to answer them.

I think the ideal for a panel like that would be for someone to give a well rehearsed 5-8 minutes summary description of the art and the hobby, then each panelist gets 5 minutes to clarify or add to that summary, and then open the floor to questions that would be answered by collectors on the panel. As I think about it, Bill would be especially great as a moderator because he's interviewed a ton of collectors and could pull together a great, balanced panel of collectors who are also thoughtful about the hobby. Hey, maybe that's a good project for Comic Art Live. Solicit a list of newbie collector questions and do a 2.5 hour show with Bill and 4-5 collectors who have all seen the list of questions and are prepared to make thoughtful, concise responses. Then the show would be available to the entire world for years to come. (Someone is probably going to tell me that Bill has done this, and if he has, I'd love to get the link.)

I did my Collecting Comic Art panel at SDCC 20 years ago from 2003 to 2005.

On 7/30/2024 at 1:00 AM, Kevn said:

I haven't attended SDCC in a while and back in the day I would have loved to have seen some OA panels. I think having auction house reps, comic shop owners, and people who are also artist reps or dealers is not so useful for potential new collectors. It would be kind of like having a couple of auto manufacturer's reps and a couple of used car salesman talk to people wondering if buy their first car is a good idea or if they should replace their old car. Why not do a panel where Bill Cox is the moderator, and there are 4-5 collectors with, as Brian says, each with a different general focus. It's fine of some of those collectors do a lot of buying and selling as they manage their collection, but people with a vested interest in profiting from the hobby are going to have fundamentally different messages than what budding collectors need. And I'm a huge believer in the free market, and love that there are so many OA dealers, and auction houses, and artists' reps. Hell, let them have their own panel where they can tell funny stories about all the wacky collectors they've had to deal with!

I remember the questions I had as I dipped my toes into this world back in 1980. Then the stakes were lower - no one had much to gain by ripping me off or dramatically misleading me when I was buying pages for $20-50 each. But still, I had so many questions, and people running auction sites wouldn't have been the ones to answer them.

I think the ideal for a panel like that would be for someone to give a well rehearsed 5-8 minutes summary description of the art and the hobby, then each panelist gets 5 minutes to clarify or add to that summary, and then open the floor to questions that would be answered by collectors on the panel. As I think about it, Bill would be especially great as a moderator because he's interviewed a ton of collectors and could pull together a great, balanced panel of collectors who are also thoughtful about the hobby. Hey, maybe that's a good project for Comic Art Live. Solicit a list of newbie collector questions and do a 2.5 hour show with Bill and 4-5 collectors who have all seen the list of questions and are prepared to make thoughtful, concise responses. Then the show would be available to the entire world for years to come. (Someone is probably going to tell me that Bill has done this, and if he has, I'd love to get the link.)

I think this is a great idea.  I would love to see a SDCC livestream panel on Comic Art Live with a few experienced collectors on the panel just talking about what got them into the hobby and some of their collection.