• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does location of staple affect grade?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

This is known as a bindery defect, which really should not affect the grade at all unless there are tears around the staple. From what I can see in the picture the grade should not be impacted by where the staple is located.

Yeah, very early on in my collecting, I thought that this bindery defect was a really big issue that would negatively effect grade. I even returned a slabbed ASM 64 once, because when I saw this defect I thought the cover had come off and been stapled back on by seller lol.

Books are graded in their entirety, if you want a more concise/detailed grade you should post clear/sharp pics of the front/back covers, inside front/back covers/splash pages, spine and centerfold in the https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/ section.

As far as Bindery Defects and Staple Placement alone...

Subtle Definition - (especially of a change or distinction) so delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze or describe, difficult to understand or perceive.

NM/MT 9.8 to MT 9.9 - Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust. 

NM+ 9.6 - Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. Staples must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration. 

NM 9.4 - Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration.

Staple placement is not mentioned in any grades lower than NM- 9.4 the only reference to staples below this grade is about discoloration/rust, staple tears and staple/centerfold/cover looseness/detachment.

NM- 9.2 - A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. Staples may show some discoloration.

VF/NM 9.0 - A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. Staples may show some discoloration. Only the slightest staple tears are allowed.

VF 8.0 - A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears.