• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thing Expanded Companion Documentary
1 1

5 posts in this topic

If I were to catalog the movies over the last 30 years which I have rewatched most often, John Carpenter's Thing would be at or near the top of that list. Funny enough, another of his movies would be near the top as well (Big Trouble in Little China).

Took ages for it to get deserved recognition as one of the greatest (science-fiction) horror films of all time.

Couldn’t quite believe what I was watching when I saw it at the cinema back in 1982. Truly groundbreaking.

On 8/12/2024 at 9:21 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Took ages for it to get deserved recognition as one of the greatest (science-fiction) horror films of all time.

Couldn’t quite believe what I was watching when I saw it at the cinema back in 1982. Truly groundbreaking.

The isolation of the setting combined with the group paranoia absolutely draws the viewer directly into the movie. To this day I still get tense from the start to the end of this masterpiece. And thank JC for that very non Hollywood ending.

On 8/12/2024 at 3:32 PM, RedRaven said:

The isolation of the setting combined with the group paranoia absolutely draws the viewer directly into the movie. To this day I still get tense from the start to the end of this masterpiece. And thank JC for that very non Hollywood ending.

Absolutely. Pure nihilism and bleakness.

Watched it first time on a bitterly cold December day. Appropriate atmospherics.

Unsurprisingly, I have the Blu-ray.

Edited by Ken Aldred