• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is the market for low grade 10 cent Marvel Westerns?

15 posts in this topic

A shop I do some business with had someone come in with a box of 10-cent Westerns, almost all Marvel.  While few might grade out as Fine, most are well-loved, lovingly illustrated, or have a coupon filled in.  Some have writing on interior pages.  The former owner believed in the redemptive powers of tape.  I'd put half the books at 1.8 or lower and 90% at no better than VG.

10-cent Atlas/Marvel pre-heroes are hot, but does that spill over to the Western titles?  The asking price was $500 for 87 books. Would half of that be reasonable?

Edited by shadroch

If you can get them for $3 each, you might be able to make some profit (maybe selling bundles?).

I'd just be worried it would be a slow slog, not sure of the appetite for well-loved Atlas Westerns.

Good luck either way!

-bc

I DO collect Marvel westerns, Gunsmoke Western, Kid Colt Outlaw, Rawhide Kid, Two-Gun Kid, etc..) and don't mind low grade reading copies. There are many issues on my want list, so if by chance you acquire them, I'd be interested in filling in some places on my want list.  (thumbsu

There are several in that area that are considered at least minor key issues. Rawhide Kid #17, #22 and #45, Kid Colt #100, #107 & #110, Two-Gun Kid #60 & #77, just to name a few that bring a little extra money. Some are origin related, some have monster covers. If you can get 'em for a good price, you should be able to make some money here on the boards. I know I'LL be looking at them!  (thumbsu

My experience is that the price of 10 cent Atlas/Marvel Westerns has increased dramatically over the years because of age, or, the sellers are asking higher prices just because they can, these books can be hard to find at times.

I was collecting/completing runs of the 10 cent covers of Kid Colt Outlaw (issues 1-102), Rawhide Kid (Issues 1-25) and Two Gun Kid (issues 1-59, I added issue 60) up until 2009 when the prices starting getting out of hand, I was buying lower grade issues for $20.00 - $30.00 and then, out of nowhere those prices started to double/triple so I stopped buying.

The biggest problem I see with not only Pre-Hero Westerns but Pre-Hero Horror Titles (JIM/ST) is that there are not enough sold through auction on eBay to get a fairly accurate FMV, the majority are sold through BIN which is only an indication of how greedy the seller is, I have not seen a new Overstreet since 2016 so I have no idea what these books values are listed at. I have not seen any of the books I need/wanted (not including the #1's which of course bring a premium price) Kid Colt Outlaw 12, 24 and Rawhide Kid 15 for sale for under $50.00 - $75.00 in Low Grade in years, before and up to and including 2009 when the prices increased dramatically I was getting these books for $15.00 - $20.00 and I looked for "Well Loved" books.

I only need 4 Kid Colt issues (1, 2, 12, 24) and 2 Rawhide Kid issues (1, 15) to complete the runs and I do not expect to ever complete those runs.

As far as high demand/higher value books (other than say the first few issues), Rawhide Kid 17 (Origin Story), Two Gun Kid 58 (Kirby Monster On Cover) and Two Gun Kid 60 (New Origin by Kirby).

Rawhide-Kid-17-PR-0-5-FR-1-0.jpg

Two-Gun-Kid-1-FR-1-0.jpg

Two-Gun-Kid-58-VG-4-0.jpg

Two-Gun-Kid-60-VG-3-5.jpg

On 8/18/2024 at 4:08 PM, shadroch said:

Thanks, everyone.   I think they might be too low grade to justify the time and expense.

You've been at this a while, listen to your gut. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/18/2024 at 2:02 PM, jimjum12 said:

You've been at this a while, listen to your gut. GOD BLESS ... 

I'm stunned by what pre-1964 low-grade Marvels are going for.  Pre-hero, as well.   

On 8/18/2024 at 5:15 PM, shadroch said:

I'm stunned by what pre-1964 low-grade Marvels are going for.  Pre-hero, as well.   

If I'm looking at resale on a lot, I always ask myself, who am I going to sell this to? If I think someone, somewhere, will surely want it, they usually don't. GOD BLESS ... 

Edited by jimjum12