• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADING STEPS
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I'm new to comics for the most part but needed a hobbies to take up some time. I have several books I want to get graded and pressed first. What are the steps I should take? I want to get into the hobby of flipping as well. Any pointers on how to get connections for great pricing to still have equity to sell below market value?

to grade your books, just go on the CGC website.  You'll need to get a membership, fill out some online forms, pay some fees, pack up your books, and mail them to cgc with the forms (if the timing/geography line up, you can submit your books in person at a comic convention if CGC is attending, you can check out out the schedule on the CGC website).  THere will be plenty of instructions and discussions of the process on the CGC website.  Pressing is an option on the online form when submitting to CGC.  Additionally, they have customer service contact info on the CGC website.

If your local comic book store is a CGC member dealer, you may be able to submit through them - you should contact them for details of their process.

You can also scour the internet for independent pressers who will also help you submit to CGC after pressing.  Make sure you thoroughly check the reputation for yourself of anyone you consider.

As for flipping, probably best to start with local craiglist or yard sales or flea markets or antique shops/thrift stores.  Your best chances are where you have more knowledge/experience/interest than the average comic collector.  For example, if you went through a box of 200 1970's comics and it took you 3 minutes to grade and look up each book, that's 600 minutes which is 10 hours of time.  But for the best dealers flippers who know 70's books they could assess the whole box in the 3 minutes.  Other than that, you can find reputable local dealers and build relationships.  Or if you're great at math or financial modeling, you can build algorithms that can help you decide when to buy/sell books, especially related to books/characters that become tv/movie/cartoons.  Tons of data out there if you are willing and able to sift through it.  Though there's really no substitute for interest and experience.