• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can these books be just 0.5 grade apart?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2024 at 5:44 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

The fact is, you're examples are wrong, and CGC was correct in their grades. At the end of the day, I congratulate you on your correctly graded, very nice presenting JIM 85. That's all it is and will ever be, just like the 5.5 in question from this thread.

You present ZERO examples, because there simply are none that are anywhere near this nice for a 3.0, literally NONE, EVER. I know because I buy and sell $$$ mid six figures in CGC slabs every year, closely scan and bid on $ Millions more in slabbed books that I don't win and have never seen one until this one. My CGC authorized dealer that also handles and grades thousands of books a year was just as shocked as I was and fully agreed with me. CGC handles millions of books, so believe it or not, they have big misses all the time, I have seen as high as a full 4.0 grade point swing in the exact same book and there are literally thousands of collectors out there looking for the under grades so they can resubmit and get a huge bump!   These kinds of big misses happen when you have a huge company that grades millions of books and have so many different graders and new graders coming and going at times.  I suggest you go buy a CGC grading guide and come back after you have looked at more examples and you will learn how far off you are on this.  Especially take a look at the scan below showing what real 3.0's look like and then let the CGC grading book picture guide will help you even more.  Lets see how you do in the next CGC grading competition, not well based on what I have heard from you thus far.  I currently hold the all time best score in my CGC grading championship, so it's pretty funny how much you try to continue to argue with me when I present comparison scans, established grading facts and my expert grading experience and you provide none. 

You might want to see what a 3.0 can look like below, throw it side by side with the JIM 85 to see how crazy you are to think it only a 3.0.  At least half of the 4.5's out there don't even compare quite as well side by side.  Note, a super light barely visible partial sub crease does not drop a book below 5.0 by itself and a tiny water droplet, very light mark on the cover doesn't either and there are thousands of scans out there I can easily find to prove this!  Just go back and look at that 5.0 WOW 31 that had the entire bottom of the book heavily water stained, warped and part of the cover flaking off and was still given a 5.0, so somehow a tiny barely visible water droplet on my book should push it all the way down to 3.0?  lol  :makepoint:            

fantastic four 48.jpg

On 8/29/2024 at 4:53 PM, TC33 said:

You present ZERO examples, because there simply are none that are anywhere near this nice for a 3.0, literally NONE, EVER. I know because I buy and sell $$$ mid six figures in CGC slabs every year, closely scan and bid on $ Millions more in slabbed books that I don't win and have never seen one until this one. My CGC authorized dealer that also handles and grades thousands of books a year was just as shocked as I was and fully agreed with me. CGC handles millions of books, so believe it or not, they have big misses all the time, I have seen as high as a full 4.0 grade point swing in the exact same book and there are literally thousands of collectors out there looking for the under grades so they can resubmit and get a huge bump!   These kinds of big misses happen when you have a huge company that grades millions of books and have so many different graders and new graders coming and going at times.  I suggest you go buy a CGC grading guide and come back after you have looked at more examples and you will learn how far off you are on this.  Especially take a look at the scan below showing what real 3.0's look like and then let the CGC grading book picture guide will help you even more.  Lets see how you do in the next CGC grading competition, not well based on what I have heard from you thus far.  I currently hold the all time best score in my CGC grading championship, so it's pretty funny how much you try to continue to argue with me when I present comparison scans, established grading facts and my expert grading experience and you provide none. 

You might want to see what a 3.0 can look like below, throw it side by side with the JIM 85 to see how crazy you are to think it only a 3.0.  At least half of the 4.5's out there don't even compare quite as well side by side.  Note, a super light barely visible partial sub crease does not drop a book below 5.0 by itself and a tiny water droplet, very light mark on the cover doesn't either and there are thousands of scans out there I can easily find to prove this!  Just go back and look at that 5.0 WOW 31 that had the entire bottom of the book heavily water stained, warped and part of the cover flaking off and was still given a 5.0, so somehow a tiny barely visible water droplet on my book should push it all the way down to 3.0?  lol  :makepoint:            

fantastic four 48.jpg

The fact remains, none of your examples are good examples. Your JIM 85 is a 3.5 at best. Try winning more competitions, might help your grading out. You need to go back to the basics of grading and realize presentation isn’t everything. Once a thread hijacker always a thread hijacker.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

The fact remains, none of your examples are good examples. Your JIM 85 is a 3.5 at best. Try winning more competitions, might help your grading out. You need to go back to the basics of grading and realize presentation isn’t everything. Once a thread hijacker always a thread hijacker.

If you want to sound like you actually know how to grade, provide the technical defect here of what exact defect is keeping this book from the VG to VG/FN range of grades!  Better yet, provide proof from the CGC grading guide that they just don't allow that specific phantom defect in VG and up etc.  However, there are NO defects here that you can't have in a technical VG+! I know because I have seen, owned and can provide thousands of examples of books with those exact same types of defects (and worse) in the VG+ range.  I can even take some directly from the CGC grading guide and show them to you, but you should really go out and buy the grading guide for yourself, you could learn a lot.  Best of luck trying to beat my CGC grading championship record!  Don't get frustrated just because you start out finishing towards the bottom at first.  

On 8/31/2024 at 11:42 AM, TC33 said:

If you want to sound like you actually know how to grade, provide the technical defect here of what exact defect is keeping this book from the VG to VG/FN range of grades!  Better yet, provide proof from the CGC grading guide that they just don't allow that specific phantom defect in VG and up etc.  However, there are NO defects here that you can't have in a technical VG+! I know because I have seen, owned and can provide thousands of examples of books with those exact same types of defects (and worse) in the VG+ range.  I can even take some directly from the CGC grading guide and show them to you, but you should really go out and buy the grading guide for yourself, you could learn a lot.  Best of luck trying to beat my CGC grading championship record!  Don't get frustrated just because you start out finishing towards the bottom at first.  

The only proof I need are the books you provided, all correctly graded. I don’t need some pretend championship to know you know little about grading. Goodluck with your correctly graded JIM 85 if you resubmit and you get it back a 3.5 at best 😂. I truly hope you get better at grading, you have a lot to learn. Once a thread hijacker, always a thread hijacker.

Edited by LDarkseid1