• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foil Covers vs Inner Seals
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Need advice. ... Not new to comics more of an old timer, but I'm new to sending comics to CGC for first submissions Grading. So, a few months ago I sent CGC., 2- 9.9 comics That I got from Comic Con, and one had plastic floating around in its case and both graded comics had sticky scuff marks from the case inner wells sticking to the gold and silver foil comic covers both back and front. Case had a few scratches but no biggie there I can clean that up it's on the exterior. Anyway, so I sent them both in with instructions on the damage with the cases and I asked that they be gentle with my submission for re-holder and for them to remove the comics (on 2) from the inner wells on account they were sticking and smudging on the inner wells and to add new wells. (THEY NEVER DID THIS) What they did was just crack the cases and just added my comics back in new cases with the same wells, that is it. But listen to this, the original cases were very clean and clear. ... The cases my comics came back with had very dull look and the inner part of the case you can tell it had like been sitting somewhere for a while and a film developed inside both cases, and it shows that whoever worked on my comics wiped the inner cases, like you can see the wipe marks, I was in shock that this person number one, did not read my notes pertaining to having the comics removed from the inner wells and 2. Actually, placed them in older cases dirty. I will add photo's here and I think others should be WARNED that these inner wells are not good for FOIL FACED COMIC COVERS* Here's the proof in these photos. Main point is that these foil covers are sticking to the inner wells. And one of the reasons it's not a good idea to place foil cover comics inside a well is temperature differences both from handling to case to seal up to shipments and where you live, on its trip back to you. So, should I just deal with this mistake they made? Read below and hopefully someone up here on the internet will pick this up and bring it up and have a discussion about TEMPRETURE DIFFRENCES IN HOME and SHIPPING. Metal expands and some shipping truck have AC most of the trucks do not, and others even go to the expense of hot ice or regular ice packs on top the packages/boxes when moving through hot States. If a shipment is going through a cold State, then if the goods compartment is heated, that will create CONDINSATION in the cases. Never liked the idea of sealing comics, it's organic paper as in paper fiber as in sawdust as in from a real tree there for and with that said ORGANIC and it has to breath, how do you think they lasted all these years, they had AIR FLOW and now in a case they Don't. Condensation is built up, and especially once you get them home and hang them on your wall, you have to know about heat rising and AC being heavy goes down to the floor so if you hang your comics over a heating system, Steam/Baseboard, that's heat rising up to your comic CASE' SEALED CASE. -NOT GOOD OVER TIME. The metal staples also will expand with heat and cold creating in a case CONDINSATION on them and also create ticks or tears etc. Get this info to someone and for sure CGC. Another thing let's not forget the gasses leaching out after sealing a comic when it gets heated. (Yes, people during the cleaning process.) Some people have baseboard heating, and the comics are displayed above on a wall over the baseboard heating along the floor and again, heat rises creating condensation inside these cases. Have a nice day. Sorry I got a file sharing error trying to send the pictures. But you get the idea* this information benefits CGC too, now knowing problems in shipping, and is one of the reasons I always ship EXPRESS, so problems don't occur in shipping.

PS: Sorry I got a bunch of THERE WAS A PROBLEM UPLOADING FILES / PICTURES. -Van Oliver 

.