• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed
1 1

22 posts in this topic

:news:  :news: 

After a bad handling the cover took a punch on the lower bottom area, the title of the story been affected... :facepalm:

I'm really sorry... so now I just have to say... make your best offer...

20240907_140040.thumb.jpg.149aba30edb813d492874f29a8181bbc.jpg

On 9/13/2024 at 4:20 AM, Semicentennial said:

Is the book trimmed?  The bottom right corner looks different from the original picture?

Huh no? All the pages are normal but it's just the pages 9 to 18 who have their corners cutted of 1 or 2 centimenters 

On 9/13/2024 at 10:19 PM, Semicentennial said:

Thanks for disclosing the book has been trimmed.  I wasn't sure if the corner got folded over or not.  

Sorry I was not really sure of the term of "trimmed" because I often see the term used in restoration process.

On 9/14/2024 at 1:10 AM, Coverdeath said:

Sorry I was not really sure of the term of "trimmed" because I often see the term used in restoration process.

Trimming is the act of cutting the edge (or edges) of the comic book in order to improve its appearance, which sounds like is exactly what you did here. 

In comic collecting it's very frowned upon. The general reason it's treated more harshly than color touch, is because you can't "untrim" a book. Those pieces are gone forever (though some have dabbled in techniques to "untrim" - it still forever alters the original state of the comic). 

Long story short, I wouldn't recommend doing it going forward and if you have done it with other comics or interiors you should disclose it.  

Edited by KCOComics

On 9/14/2024 at 11:00 AM, KCOComics said:

Trimming is the act of cutting the edges of the comic book in order to improve its appearance, which sounds like is exactly what you did here. 

In comic collecting it's very frowned upon. The general reason it's treated more harshly than color tough, is because you can't "untrim" a book. Those pieces are gone forever (though some have dabbled in techniques to "untrim" - it still forever alters the original state of the comic). 

Long story short, I wouldn't recommend doing it going forward and if you have done it with other comics or interiors you should disclose it.  

Well usually when I see it, it's a full length pach which have the edge cutted, but here is different is the corner, when I see some similar books to mine on ebay is rather listed as "missing piece" "missing corner" but not trimmed.

On 9/14/2024 at 5:04 AM, Coverdeath said:

Well usually when I see it, it's a full length pach which have the edge cutted, but here is different is the corner, when I see some similar books to mine on ebay is rather listed as "missing piece" "missing corner" but not trimmed.

Trimming can be any length. Just a tiny piece of the edge that is neatly cut or the entire edge. 

It's all trimming. Give me a second and I can share an example from one of my books. 

Edited by KCOComics

Here is a book I bought trimmed. You can see just that tiny little corner was trimmed. 

When I had it graded,  it came back trimmed, as I expected it would.  

It was disclosed before I bought it and actually caught by folks on the boards with eagle eyes, so everyone was up front. 

20200226_150249~2.jpg

IMG_20230831_182539445.jpg

IMG_20230905_181303294.jpg

Edited by KCOComics

On 9/14/2024 at 11:13 AM, KCOComics said:

Here is a book I bought trimmed. You can see just that tiny little corner was trimmed. 

When I had it graded,  it came back trimmed, as I expected it would.  

It was disclosed before I bought it and actually caught by folks on the boards with eagle eyes, so everyone was up front. 

20200226_150249~2.jpg

IMG_20230831_182539445.jpg

IMG_20230905_181303294.jpg

Would it be noticed if the added piece wasn't here? 

On 9/14/2024 at 11:56 AM, KCOComics said:

There were no added pieces. There was tape to reenforce the cover. 

Trimming would always be noticed and called out with a purple label designation if cgc graded it. 

It's pretty cut and dry. 

So you r gonna tell me the fact that a little kid cut the corners of his book because he like relief is considered as restoration? This is an absolute non sense.

For me you get the label because of the tape.

Edited by Coverdeath

On 9/14/2024 at 7:12 AM, Coverdeath said:

So you r gonna tell me the fact that a little kid cut the corners of his book because he like relief is considered as restoration? This is an absolute non sense.

For me you get the label because of the tape.

Tape isn't resto and doesn't get a purple label. 

Trimming,  done by people of any age is trimming and gets a purple label. 

A 10 year old doodling on the cover isn't resto.  A 10 year old carefully cutting the edges to improve the appearance is trimming.  

I know your pretty new to the hobby and I'm really not trying to give you a hard time.  I like your threads and appreciate your questions. 

This is an area of the hobby where there really isn't a gray area. If you alter a book by cutting the edge, it's trimming. It will hopefully be spotted by cgc and identified as such. 

On 9/14/2024 at 2:21 PM, KCOComics said:

Tape isn't resto and doesn't get a purple label. 

Trimming,  done by people of any age is trimming and gets a purple label. 

A 10 year old doodling on the cover isn't resto.  A 10 year old carefully cutting the edges to improve the appearance is trimming.  

I know your pretty new to the hobby and I'm really not trying to give you a hard time.  I like your threads and appreciate your questions. 

This is an area of the hobby where there really isn't a gray area. If you alter a book by cutting the edge, it's trimming. It will hopefully be spotted by cgc and identified as such. 

Well you just have to rip it of an inch more with your fingers and it wouldn't be restored anymore lol